Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

DefaultRe: Hah! Rrrrruff time for owners - Fla city to outlaw dog barking...

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    I do not permit my dogs to bark outside. I think it is rude and annoying.
    But it's a dog!! That's what the do! I understand the point of putting a ban on incessant nusiance barking...that can be annoying...but not at all?! Do I dare ask how you get your dogs to not bark when outside?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

skippin!

Can you possibly have an issue with barking dogs annoying your neighbors? It has been over 20 years, but i drove across Wyoming several times in the late 70s and early 80s. I don't think I saw a single home with a neighbor within hearing range of a barking dog.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RukusandDozer
    Do I dare ask how you get your dogs to not bark when outside?
    I would love to hear that too. I think that would be just shy of a miracle with most dogs I've ever met.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    Quote Originally Posted by RukusandDozer
    I would love to hear that too. I think that would be just shy of a miracle with most dogs I've ever met.
    LOL, I taught "no speak." They get plenty of large muscle, interactive activity outside. I find they start barking when they are bored or not being supervised. FWIW, I have three of them. Yes, sometimes they give an excited "BARK!" or "YELP!" but they don't bark repeatedly as long as one of us is outside to avert their attention. And since they are never outside alone, they learned pretty quickly.

If they start to bark repeatedly, we change activities.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

I think the current law of them barking for 5 minutes is fine some dogs really are annoying and will carry on all day. My only concern is for people like the lawmaker who don't have dogs and don't like dogs. They will complain about anything about your dog just because they don't like them even if they are not really doing anything wrong. There is no real reason to punish the owners because they have a neighbor who is really dog intollorant as long as they are trying to curb the barking. Some dogs are just really vocal.
    Mocha likes to bark at people in front of our house. I always correct her and have tried tons of different suggestions on how to distract her and get her to stop but it takes 30 seconds to a minute to stop her some times. She's inside when she does this but you can still hear her from the road.

I have to agree with Momma to A and J. While I wouldn't mind an occasional bark from a dog, even 3 periods of 5 minutes can sometimes be too much depending on when it is: For example, the person who lives directly behind me lets their dog out in the yard and then she goes in her house. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem at 4 or 5 in the morning while they are inside getting ready, the dog is outside barking at random things; no he's not barking non-stop, but every 10 minutes there is about 2-3 minutes of barking. So for 30-45 minutes I go through a cycle of: Dog barks, I wake up. 10 minutes of sleep. Dog barks, I wake up. 10 minutes of sleep. Dog barks, I wake up. 10 minutes of sleep.

This also happens at night, but we are usually still awake so it isn't an issue. About every 6 months I go around and ask her if she can bring him in if she isn't out there (he is usually quite when they are outside) when it is so early in the morning. We have about 3-4 good months, and it tapers off. It doesn't bother me that the dog barks during the day when my kids are outside, only when it wakes me up! So see, even 3 random 5 minutes could be annoying depending on when it is (you try being up all night with a baby, getting back to sleep, and then getting woken up 3 or 4 times at 4 a.m. by your neighbor's dog!). I probably would never call to enforce anything, I'd much rather talk to her personally, but I can see where it wouldn't be a bad thing to have it on the books if it became an issue.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The lab behind us, lives outside, howls whenever it hears a train whistle. The tracks are about 3/4 mile away. Train goes through as early as 5 am, and as late as 11pm. Maybe 30 seconds of howling. One neighbor calls police a couple times a month because he is woken up by the howling. Couldn't be the train whistle!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BudGirl8 Guest

I am the same as Jenn. My dog is not allowed to bark. If she starts, she gets corrected. If she doesn't stop immediately, the activity gets changed. I do NOT tolerate barking dogs. When I take Billie to SO's parents house to play in the yard, these flippin little ankle biter mutts come out in their back yard and the ENTIRE time we're out there they run the fence and bark their fool heads off. Billie never barks at them. You bet if we had that ordinance I'd be calling them in. I cannot tolerate that kind of racket, especially not for 30 minutes at a stretch.

My rationale for the way I handle the "no bark" rule is simple. When she barks I know something is out of place or going wrong. She doesn't bark for the sake of barking.

I agree that the ordinance is not tolerant of owners that are trying to keep their dogs from being a nuisance though. It seems overly harsh to punish them the same way as someone who just ignores a dog in the yard all day long.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

RukusandDozer,

My dogs do not bark outside at all. Why? because they have no need to. My yard is fully secluded and they can't see out onto the street. Even if it did I would NOT allow them to bark at people -- it is rude and highly inconsiderate to allow a dog to bark at passers by.

There is nothing more likely to ruin your walk (maybe with the exception of loose/out of control dogs and irresponsible idiots that do not pick up their dogs crap :) then some dog barking like a maniac and trying to attack you from behind a fence.

skippin is offline Member

WY has grown quite a bit since the 80's! I live in "town" (a whole whoppin 300 people), but have about 3/4 acre. My kids are not pups anymore, and have been trained since puppyhood what "no bark" means, via voice commands. No abuse here! They, like all Labs, are very smart, and know that they are supposed to bark at "intruders" that come onto the property, but not at the people walking on the other side of the highway. I just think, like some others, that barking at passersby is rude and obnoxious. Our yard is also fully enclosed except for the gate, which looks out onto the front yard/driveway and highway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast