OMG I think I had a mini heart attack...... *worried*!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG I think I had a mini heart attack...... *worried*!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultOMG I think I had a mini heart attack...... *worried*!!

I have posted in other threads about Baloo's strange fascination with blowing leaves.

Yesterday on our evening walk, he bolted after one such leaf ahead on the sidewalk. I walk both dogs on the gentle leader easywalk harness. So, as he reached the end of the leash, the force with which he had taken off caused him to flip around and land on his left side. Hard.

He got up, hung his head, and wouldn't put any weight on his left hind leg. I'm not kidding when I say that I think my heart actually stopped. :-[

In that moment, my brain went to very very bad places. "he broke it. he did in his cruciate. he needs surgery. he may never walk properly again. hell be in pain for the rest of his life."

So, as I'm thinking about how I'm going to carry my 50 lb puppy home, whether I should knock on someone's door and ask to use the phone to get dan to come and pick us up, Baloo tentatively puts his foot on the ground. Then takes a few small steps with a BIG limp. :'( I walked forward very, very slowly forward, and the limp got less and less pronounced.

By the time we got home the limp was gone, and it hasn't resurfaced since.

BUT, I'm still worried, as is my way. :-[

Is there anything I should watch for, could he still be hurt and just hiding it? Are there certain positions he will/won't assume if he is/isn't hurt??

*deep breath*
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultRe: OMG I think I had a mini heart attack...... *worried*!!

I can't speak for the cruciate injuries, there are others who have much more expertise here.

I know that Billie has done some bonehead moves and come up with a big limp before. Then she walks it off or I keep her quiet for a day or two and nothing ever came of it. I watched for swelling, tenderness to touch, heat in the area, etc. and then after a day or two of rest and her not limping in the house (if she still was in the yard after walking a bit after the bonehead move) then she was fine.

Baloo may have scared himself, then it stung for a bit. Walking probably helped and then it feels ok now.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BudGirl8
    I can't speak for the cruciate injuries, there are others who have much more expertise here.

I know that Billie has done some bonehead moves and come up with a big limp before. Then she walks it off or I keep her quiet for a day or two and nothing ever came of it. I watched for swelling, tenderness to touch, heat in the area, etc. and then after a day or two of rest and her not limping in the house (if she still was in the yard after walking a bit after the bonehead move) then she was fine.

Baloo may have scared himself, then it stung for a bit. Walking probably helped and then it feels ok now.
    I agree. Bonehead move here: running shoulder first into a satelite dish. : :
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

Bonehead moves here: too many to count but her favorite to this day continues to be jumping straight up in the air in an attempt to climb a tree and catch a squirrel. I can't tell you how many times this move has landed her on her butt or her side. :

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo has many bonehead moves, he always just shakes it off though.... this was the first time he seemed to have actually hurt himself.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Know how you feel!

Eddie likes to race around the yard creating as many obstacles as he can to confuse anyone or dog that may be following him. He has smacked into the deck steps on a few occassions hard enough to sit there crying favoring the hurt leg, shaking, wouldn't let me touch it at all so I am sitting there crying too! A few minutes later he would be limping around and then? Rracing again! Like nothing had happened!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I would just watch to see if he limps again. They sure know how to worry us.
    It's a good idea to take a cell phone on walks in case of an injury to Baloo or you. (I once carried 50# Duke home after he got away - not fun)

It's probably ok - maybe hurt for a little bit. Reminded me of something Sage did a couple months ago. She likes to climb onto my legs while I have my feet up on the other computer chair - sort of a tightrope walk (she must have been a Flying Wallenda in an earlier life) and curl onto my outstretched legs and lap to sleep - all 50 pounds of her. She was trying to turn around on my legs (truly a Wallenda move) and fell off, landing on her back leg/hip. This was an almost 2 ft. drop. She didn't move for a second then got up slowly and wouldn't use her leg at all. I was sure she'd broken something. But after walking around the house for a few minutes, she was fine again. Maybe it was the same with Baloo? Sage hasn't learned anything, because as soon as I put my feet up, she's right there climbing onto my legs again. Hope Baloo is good as new now.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Maybe a change of training gear is in need? something that gives you greater control of his head? where the head goes, the body follows...

I use a rope lead up against the ears when I need close control.

Awwww....poor Baloo! I hope he's ok! (Sorry, I have no advice on what to do... :-\)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast