Tramadol for Pain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tramadol for Pain

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultTramadol for Pain

Just wondered if anyone had had this prescribed for their dog, and at what dosage? Any problem with side effects? I'm also using Metacam, and only have to give the Tramadol if necessary/if she still seems to be in a lot of discomfort. TIA
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 07-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I've had tramadol prescribed for my now deceased dogs. They were both in the 90lb range and it was 1 or 2 pills three or four times a day. Pretty loose instructions I thought. I didn't have to use very much of it.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Buddy get 1/2 to 3/4 of a Tramadol if he limps after exercising. So far I haven't seen any side effects. I don't use it very much, though.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for both your responses. I was wondering how much in milligrams the usual dosage is? What would the dose you gave be in milligrams? The pills I have are 150 mg. My dog is around 70 pounds. This is for pain after a medical procedure, so perhaps the dose would be higher for some issues than it would be for others. I'm already giving Metacam, and don't need to use this other med unless necessary, but I was just curious about the dosage. TIA
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 07-04-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Usually it is a 50 mg dose.. Tramadol is Ultram (a human med you can get filled at most pharmacies for 4 bucks)... Indy gets 3 in the morning, 3 in the evening during the summer months..when his arthritis is acting up really bad in the winter time, he may get another 1 to 3 at bedtime. He has been on this regimen with Rimadyl for 6 years now...(we get his blood worked checked every 4 months because of the Rimadyl and everything has been fine for 6 years now)...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Yelloweyz - Thanks for replying. So am I understanding correctly that sometimes Indy gets three 50 mg tablets all at once....so like 150 mg? Dee is also Metacam right now, so this would be on top of the Metacam. I don't think I mentioned earlier in this post, but this is all due to an injury she had this week and the resulting surgery. I won't be using the Tramadol unless I have to for extra pain relief, but I'm always a little nervous when it comes to giving her medications I'm not familiar with. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    Yelloweyz - Thanks for replying. So am I understanding correctly that sometimes Indy gets three 50 mg tablets all at once....so like 150 mg? Dee is also Metacam right now, so this would be on top of the Metacam. I don't think I mentioned earlier in this post, but this is all due to an injury she had this week and the resulting surgery. I won't be using the Tramadol unless I have to for extra pain relief, but I'm always a little nervous when it comes to giving her medications I'm not familiar with. Thanks again.
    Yes, you are correct, he gets three 50 mg tabs and 1 Rimadyl twice a day, then if needed in the winter months or his painful days he may get an additional 1 to 3 tabs at night... So on an average day 6 Tramadol and 2 Rimadyl total (winter months up to 9 Tramadol and 2 Rimadyl total) and we have done this for 6 years now with no liver/kidney or any problems... Just make sure she has a full tummy because they can cause an upset......Metacam didnt work for my old bear, and the Rimadyl does really really well for him....

Oh and Indy weighs 86 pounds now (in his heyday he weighed about 105, but he's an 11 year old boy now)...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Thanks yelloweyz - Each pill I have is actually 150 mg, so that's why I wondered if you gave three of the 50 mg at the same time. Dee is quite a bit smaller than Indy. Being as it is the weekend I was concerned about possible side effects.....especially as she is also on the Metacam (and antibiotics). I totally have faith in and trust my Vet and I'm sure he would have mentioned if he thought there could be any problem, but you just never know how each individual dog can react to different meds until you've used them. So far so good....she has managed with just the Metacam and doesn't seem in any distress.

I'm glad Indy has managed so well (without any complications) on his meds. Dee has some arthritis in her hip and sometime down the road she'll likely need to take something for it. It's good to know that there are meds that really help without necessarily causing other problems.....and smart to do the regular blood tests to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    Thanks yelloweyz - Each pill I have is actually 150 mg, so that's why I wondered if you gave three of the 50 mg at the same time.
    Definitely a good thing you asked how many milligrams than (I even double checked on the bottle to make sure it was 50 mg on ours)...I even take the Tramadol (I cant do anything with codeine), when my hands bother me...

I hope Dee is feeling better soon....you might noticed her arthritis not bothering her as much with the metacam and tramadol...and you're right, its always good to know about options if/when the time comes and she needs more help...Hugs and well wishes to her...

Quote Originally Posted by Yelloweyz View Post
    Definitely a good thing you asked how many milligrams than (I even double checked on the bottle to make sure it was 50 mg on ours)...I even take the Tramadol (I cant do anything with codeine), when my hands bother me...

I hope Dee is feeling better soon....you might noticed her arthritis not bothering her as much with the metacam and tramadol...and you're right, its always good to know about options if/when the time comes and she needs more help...Hugs and well wishes to her...
    Thanks so much. Just one more question if you don't mind. When you give Indy the 3 Tramadol totaling 150 mg all at once does he make him really sleepy/lethargic? Dee seems lethargic just from the Metacam; although some of that may be just the way she's feeling right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast