change food?

Thread: change food?

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Defaultchange food?

Jazzy has been licking her front feet, and base of her tail for a few months. There is no redness at all to the skin. Fur is fine, nice and shiny. Now today her ear was full of gunk. I wonder if this is more a seasonal thing more than food and feel reluctant to change what she is eating. Today we stopped at a tractor supply store and noticed they sell many different dog foods. I bought a bag of the Pro Plan Sensitive stomach and skin. She has been on Purina One Rice and Lamb for about two years. Can a food allergy start after that many years on the same food? I guess I have nothing to lose to try the new food, but I wish I knew if the food is the problem.

Brookville, Pa.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: change food?

I would probably go ahead with the change....there are several users here that really like the ProPlan S&S.

Linda, I know that humans can "develop" allergies with time. Perhaps the same happened to Jazzy?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Hope the switch will help her out. I think the new one you have doesn't have corn in it, so that could help if she has a corn allergy. Could be the time of year, too. I found probiotics helped with Zena's ear issues. Haven't had any more problems with it (knock on wood)!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good luck and hope it does the trick. I feed Tal ProPlan regular adult food and have been happy with it so far.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, I know what you mean. It's hard to tell. Well, it's impossible to tell whether it's seasonal or food, without allergy testing. And even then...? I dunno.

But you know, I have read something to the effect of, it can actually happen *because* they spend so many years on the same food.

I know now that Crash had terrible allergies. He was classic: Perpetually bad ears, foot licking to the point of causing huge black granulomas, anal gland butt scooting... :'( My vet never even mentioned that it might be allergies. I sure wish someone had told me.

With him, I am suspicious of the food he was on. But it could have also been seasonal, I suppose. He was outgrowing these symptoms about the time he passed away. I remember patting his foot in the waiting room before he went back for surgery and thinking, "Look, his feet are just starting to look normal again." :'(

Anyway. I have so many regrets.

We are going through some of the same things with Simon. He's itchy, gunky ears, and hasn't yet gotten to butt-scooting, but he seems inordinately occupied with his anal glands. :-\ We've got him on a no-grain food now, and we're giving him Benadryl 2x a day. It *seems* to be helping.

I wish I had better advice, but I am mystified by allergies as well.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

No personal experience here, but for what its worth, when Champ had itchy skin and I asked my vet if it could be his food, she said that food allergies usually (though not always) express themselves through the ears, and that is one way she uses to try to determine if it is environmental or food... Not that it couldn't be environmental, but I would think the ears would be a hint that it might be food-related.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

That sounds like Mitzi's problem: foot licking, gunky ears, butt licking, but skin and fur looks OK. This didn't show up until she was about two. Isn't that about how old Jazzy is? I hope you can find the right food to help her.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It could be that they changed ingredients or quality of ingredients in your food too. I agree, try a formula w/o corn (and wheat and soy) to begin with. You may want to try some MSM as well-- it sure does wonders for my personal spring allergies!!! Start out w/ 1000mg am and pm, then after 1 wk, go to just once/day. A friend has had good luck w/ the enzymatic ear cleaner w/ her dog. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    That sounds like Mitzi's problem: foot licking, gunky ears, butt licking, but skin and fur looks OK. This didn't show up until she was about two. Isn't that about how old Jazzy is? I hope you can find the right food to help her.
    Barbra, she turned two in May. Today I started her on the Pro Plan S & S.
    Anne, birdbrainz, what is MSM?

Brookville, Pa.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Linda1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Barbra, she turned two in May. Today I started her on the Pro Plan S & S.
    Anne, birdbrainz, what is MSM?
    MSM is methyl sulfonyl methane... a source of sulfur. It was used in horses/horse racing for YEARS, and is used heavily by runners, etc, for muscle aches and pains (anti-inflammatory properties). Another strong side effect is that it's also proven to be very good at relieving allergies so it's got some immunological benefits. If you do a google on it, you'll also see references to reducing migranes, pms, and a bunch of other stuff. I personally broke my back a few years ago and before that was Dx'd w/ Lupus (SLE-- muscles/tendons mainly) and it helps me tremendously. Also had a dog w/ HD who was on glucosamine/chondroitin for a year before I discovered MSM, and she was flipping and spinning w/in 5 days of being on the MSM. The only way you get sulfur in the quantities needed is if you eat alot of raw fruit and meat. Kibble diets are deficient since processed/baked which destroys the sulfur. Anyhow, I slip my MSM in my first cup of coffee in the morning (before I care about the taste!). I just buy the bulk granules from my local co-op for all of us. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014