*** UPDATE at top *** Give your pups an extra hug today...

Thread: *** UPDATE at top *** Give your pups an extra hug today...

Default*** UPDATE at top *** Give your pups an extra hug today...

2007-08-30 > Happy ending finally. The owners were found and the pup is home safe. I don't have a lot of details on it but apparently it got out the front door when nobody was looking. At least it is home now and hopefully she won't have to go through something like that again.

-------------------------

So Boo and I were out on our walk this morning doing our first lap around the park before the reservoir opened up for her swim. Up ahead I saw a medium sized white dog trotting along and it looked like it was loose. Well Boo is getting to be really well behaved but I have met some dogs in the area that are pretty aggressive so of course I am cautious but I'm a bit worried that the dog may get hurt or hurt someone or some other dog so Boo and I go to catch up with it.

Well we get close enough that the Boo and the dog see each other and it approached... Both the dog's and Boo's body language was good so I wasn't too concerned. It was definitely a pit bull or pit bull mix but was also the sweetest thing. I had Boo's long line with me so we could do some training after her swim but the dog ran off again before I could get it out. A few minutes later I ran into one of the other dog owners in the area and her mastiff. After talking for a bit we both went on to see if we could catch up with the loose girl again.

Fortunately we did, another owner in the area was able to get a hold of her, so I had Michelle hold on to Boo and went over to put my line on her. That was around 10 or so this morning and it was already hot so I gave her some water and checked her out. She wasn't really thin yet and seemed to be in pretty good shape so I don't think she was out too long but she did have a scrape on her lip and inside back thigh that were a bit bloody and looked like her milk was up. Like I said very sweet dog, very well behaved.

The other owner... the ones that grabbed her though were going on and on about how aggressive she is though. Apparently the loose dog had got a hold of one of her little dogs by the back of the neck earlier and didn't let go until her son came over. She said her dog was OK.. no blood... just a little spooked. So in her mind this is a dangerous dog and she was doing her best to make sure everyone knew that. I don't know her very well but Boo and I have run in to her and her little yappy ill mannered little dogs before so I wouldn't be surprised if they are the ones that started the problem.

Well anyway I stayed with them until AC came and picked up the dog and was a little heartened to hear the AC officer tell the lady that the dog didn't seem too bad when the woman started giving him the run down of how aggressive the dog is.

So... this didn't have much of a point just wanted to vent.. its been bugging me ever since. Partly because I feel bad about the dog going with AC but to be honest even with as sweet as it is I didn't trust it enough to bring it home. Also because of how the other woman was going on about how aggressive the poor thing is. I just hope it is micro chipped, it didn't have a tattoo and I am not to sure that many of the dog owners around here would think to call AC if their pup got lost.

To top it off... by the time Boo and I got to go swimming all of her friends have already gone so she had to play by herself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Give your pups an extra hug today...

Most AC's or shelters will not adopt out pitbulls once they have them. They are usually destroyed.

Laura

Is there a pit rescue in your area that you could notify about the pup at AC?

I know there are several rescues in our area that go to AC frequently to pick up dogs that would do better in a breed-rescue than at the AC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

The dog was probably ok and I'd also bet the little yappy one started that incident. If no blood was drawn, that seems to me a good sign.

I hope maybe a Pit rescue can intervene. I'd at least try and look into it. It seems a shame that a dog as apparently sweet as this one would have to be destroyed.

Best possible outcome is that its owner is frantically looking for it, and it is microchipped.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

It's terrible what people have done to the pit breed. They can be sweet dogs, good family members, loving and loyal. But because they are protective and can be aggressive they have turned the breed into a undesirable one. They have a stigma that will be nearly impossible to overcome. Too bad. I hope the AC people can find it's family. You did the right thing, at least someone cared enough to help it. :-\

DefaultRe: *** UPDATE at top *** Give your pups an extra hug today...

bumping with update

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Super! Pup found his family!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm glad the owner was found.