Brush-phobic

Thread: Brush-phobic

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrush-phobic

BJ is starting to shed big time now and I would love to reduce the amount of hair in the house by brushing, but when I get out the zoom groom or the furminator he runs! I don't know what started this because he's never been hurt by the brush. Any suggestions on how to overcome his fear? My only thought so far is a big spoonful of peanut butter and a helper.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Brush-phobic

Henry is not overly fond of brushing either, but I started pairing the negative (brushing) with a positive (treats) and it seems to be working out well!

First it was one brush, then a treat. Then another brush, and then another treat. Then a few brushes, and then a treat and so on. Now he'll let me ZoomGroom him for a few minutes before prodding me with his nose. :

I did sort of the same thing with Mischa except we played fetch. I would throw a ball and when she brought it back,I would brush her once and throw the ball. I then increased the amount of brush strokes before I would throw the ball. Worked great. Now I show her the brush and she comes right to me and lies down. When I say Ok we're done, she flips herself over so I can do the other side. She loves the zoom groom, it gives her a great massage. Tally patiently waits her turn after Mischa. We have a specific brush sequence and the dogs expect it now.
    After our walk, we have a drink and then get brushed. They won't come in the house until I at least brush them a little bit. Now who has who trained!!!
    apt

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Well, I ended up putting a leash on him first and having the DH hold the leash and give him treats while I brushed. We just did a short session and he started with his tail between his legs but by the end he had relaxed. Of course we were surrounded by three other dogs who were curious as to why they don't get treats with their brushings.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

I sat down with tucker, with the brush hidden. I kept giving him treats and petting him. I then pulled the brush out and put it in front of him, kept treating him. Then I wrapped my hand around the brush and pet him while treating him. Then brushed him lightly while treating him. A couple days of this worked well.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff hates being brushed with a wire brush and isn't too fond of being Zoom-Groomed, either, but her objections are much less physical, immediate, or vigorous.

I sit down with Puff in front of me, hook my arm under her belly (just forward of her hind legs), and brush with my free hand until she finally squirms away. Repeat several times then have her face the other way and hook my other are under her belly, etc., etc.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748