Calm vs Hyper
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calm vs Hyper

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultCalm vs Hyper

I have a question....

Is it just personality that comes into play when you look at a "calm" lab vs "Hyper"? My mom is dog sitting my brothers 4 year old yellow lab, (she had been alone all day )and then when you come home she is happy to see you but nice and quiet and calm. I come home to Harlee who is only 17 weeks and is totally crazy, I took her out for a 20 min walk tonight, played fetch with her and still ended up having to crate her tonight because she is out of control. (keep trying to have her come back out for 10 mins or so)

Just wondering how ppl end up with calm labs?

I aslo wonder if this means Harlee is going to be hyper or is it too early to tell>??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Calm vs Hyper

Calm labs come with time. At 17 weeks I'd be worried if your lab was calm, they have a lot of energy for a lot of years. Summer has calmed down A LOT since about 1 y/o she still has her hyper moments but overall she is calm with us, when people come over she gets excited but calms down after they've been here for a few minutes. It'll happen give it time

I've heard so many people say they have a 'hyper' lab, and many calm down with age.

We've never had that, here. Tucker was calm from day one, as a puppy...calm, quiet, laid-back. He's still that way, and always will be. When we went to look at him originally, we spent a lot of time with his mom first, before seeing the puppies. She was like that too...very calm.

I think it's probably a difference in personality/temperament? Dunno.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee`s mom is calm too but she certainly is not

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn
    Harlee`s mom is calm too but she certainly is not
    Maybe she gets it from her dad ;D

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Alot of temperament, some is age.

Rocky has been calm since I got him (at 1.5yrs). Dryf has been crazy since I got him and the only reason he isn't anymore is that his body can't let him (he's 14). but Dryf is the first one up to greet you, the one jumping up like a bunny, the one nudging your arm....while Rocky doesn't bat an eyelash until he KNOWS you are coming to see him for something fun (or food)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Marlan is now 13 months old. He is still an excitable and playful puppy but he has really calmed down a lot in the last few weeks. It is noticable to the point that we now joke that our 'puppy' has turned into a 'dog'.

I think 17 weeks is too young to know what the end result will be as most puppies are pretty lively. Our girl is going three and we're still hoping that she'll settle down more, but she's definitely a lot better than she was at 4 months. We really started to notice a difference at about a year. At four months she was pretty rowdy! Big improvement after she finished teething/got her adult teeth. She wore us out for the first year though and can still be a handful! Now my first lab was far more layed back even though she was mostly field bred and actually had far more stamina. She wasn't an excitable dog at all. High energy, but not excitable. I think some of it just comes down to individual temperament and breeders breeding for the correct temperament and making that a priority.....and training helps of course.

HI, I have three labs in that live in the home, one is 19 weeks of age, what i find helps is given him raw hide chew to keep him busy, he seems that interested with the chew he forgets to run about getting into mischief.

I also don't play exciting games with the dogs when we are at home as I don't want them to play in the home only when we are out ( then its off lead running, chasing, play fighting a bit of training and then back home fed and sleep and most of all CALM

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    I've heard so many people say they have a 'hyper' lab, and many calm down with age.

We've never had that, here. Tucker was calm from day one, as a puppy...calm, quiet, laid-back. He's still that way, and always will be. When we went to look at him originally, we spent a lot of time with his mom first, before seeing the puppies. She was like that too...very calm.

I think it's probably a difference in personality/temperament? Dunno.
    That's exactly how Emma is and always has been. :-*

I aslo wonder if this means Harlee is going to be hyper or is it too early to tell>??
    I think it's too early to tell yet. She will calm down... at least a little...eventually... I think... ;D

Dogs have different personalities, just like people. Some are hyper, some are calm.

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast