New Lab..and She's Picky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lab..and She's Picky

rbryant is offline Member

DefaultNew Lab..and She's Picky

Hello, I've followed this forum for awhile now, decided to finally start posting. I have a little dilemma on my hand, or so I think. I have a yellow lab who is around 1 year old (we adopted her last week). I have owned labs in the past and have found them to be nothing short of big eaters. However, I think I found the exception to the rule. Our new lab will barely eat dry food, I have started her on IAMS..but I think it's time to try something different. She is so picky I have made the mistake of feeding her leftovers, just for the sake of nutrition. I'm trying to get a hold of her previous owners, but my hunch is that she is accustomed to eating table scraps. Anybody have any ideas as far as feeding or types of food I may consider trying? Another possibility I have considered is maybe she is having anxiety from moving in to a new home. She loves to play, however, and is full of energy...so I don't think she is having too hard of a time adjusting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Lab..and She's Picky

Sorry no advice. But hope she starts eating better for you asap. Many people on here will be able to provide you with great feed back

Good for you for adopting an older lab in need of a home. I'm sure it is going to take a few weeks for her to feel at home. Give her time to adjust. The dog food question is a good one and for as many people that respond, that's how many answers you will get about food.
    Check out the articles on the Woodhaven site about food and nutrition.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles.html

There are other excellent articles here as well. Dont be a stranger! Welcome to JL. Do you have any pics of your new girl?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. I know you will get some good advice from the others. It might take some time to switch her over to dry dog food if she is used to people food. I feed Haylee Eagle Pack duck and oatmeal. They also do canned food. You might try mixing some canned dog food into the dry food. Leave the food available to her for about 15 minutes to eat and then pick it up. Try the same thing at lunch or dinner. You will waste some food in the beginning, but she will eventually begin to eat what you put down. Hold off on any table scraps, too. Good luck and post a picture when you can!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Do you know what food she was eating before?

Welcome to our forum, and thank you for saving this little girl.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Give her time and she will eat. Might try adding a little water to the kibble to soften it up. As an occasional weekly treat you could also add some sardines or Herring fish steaks. I also give my boys a raw egg twice a week.
    I would not give in and feed her table scraps however.

Mocha went through a phase where we were training a lot that she didn't want her regular food. She wouldn't eat unless I hand fed her or put something in it. Finally I had the vet check her out. The vet found her to be healthy so she told me to just put the food down for 15 minutes then pick it up until the next meal time and repeat. She said they will not starve themselves and can go without for a few days but they will eat when they are hungry. No treats until she's eating her dry food. She didn't eat for 2 1/2 days but after that she's started eating her dry food and has gobbled it down quickly since then. I think she was just so used to getting the good stuff if she didn't eat so she was holding out for it. Once she figured out I wasn't going to give she ate. The vet said not to make a big deal of meal time just put it down and walk away. It worked for us as long as your sure she's healthy that's what I would do.

We adopted a 3 yr old lab this spring and changed his food because his previous owner was giving him 'ole Roy' food from Walmart. He took about a week or so to adjust to the new food. I agree with someone who suggested putting some water in your dogs food to soften it a bit. Good luck and I'd love to see a picture!

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

I have been through this before with one or two of my fosters. I know there is nothing medically wrong with them, they are just fussy after all the food changes from their previous owner, the shelters, and then my house.

I tell them that I don't run a restaurant and there is only one option at my house. I give them the kibble, let them have it for 15 or 20 minutes, then pick it up and throw it out. After a few days, believe me, they will eat and they will love it.

BudGirl8 Guest

Echoing everything others have said.

I adopted an 18 month old Lab and had to pull her off her food that she was getting at the prison and switch with no warning. She was fine but I still did the 10 minute rule. You don't want to encourage her to be fussy about food, so don't buy into her antics.

She'll be fine. And thanks for rescuing her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast