I am CONVINCED they learn from each other......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am CONVINCED they learn from each other......

DefaultI am CONVINCED they learn from each other......

We met my training partner this morning. His dog (working on his Master Hunter) is named Boomer. Sam is working toward his Junior Hunter. Duane had some bumper piles set up in an upside down Y. We were down in the middle of the two Y points and were sending the dogs to the bottom of the Y. Boomer first, then Sam. After a couple of all the way backs, Duane sent Boomer, whistle-sat him, and called/directed him back toward one of the Y sides. A come whistle and a downward pointing while walking in the direction. I don't know what it's called. Sam's never done that. I told D. that and he said his wife Sissy would throw a helping bumper to the pile if he needed it.

He DIDN'T need it. Took that cast just like he'd done it forever. Then Duane had Boomer do the same but to the other Y point, and Sam again did it just right. I know it was because he saw Boomer do it, but I was still amazed. I've read that dogs don't learn from each other, but I've never believed that and I for sure don't now. Other than watching Boomer, there was no way that Sam could have known how to execute that cast! Wow, they are sooooo amazing!!!!!

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I am CONVINCED they learn from each other......

I agree!!! Especailly on Sam's end!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Smart boy Sam! I too will never believe that they don't learn from each other.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Cool!

Seamus and Flynn

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

in most situations, for most dogs, they don't learn by example. take luke and penny for example, they watch taylor hold things in her mouth or clean up her toys. they cannot mimic the behavior. i have to train them individually.

with that said, way to go, sam! smart boy! ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Ok, you're right! Let me clarify. Sam DOES know what casts are and has worked on left and right, just not back toward me and at an angle. So it's not like I took him out completely unfamiliar and he watched another dog take a cast and grasped what to do. That WOULD have been amazing.

Frances

Good boy Sam. I am convinced they do learn some things from each other. Zeus has learned to bark, to lay down when I'm cooking (I give them bits if they are laying), and a few other little things since we've had him. There are still things I wish he would pick up from her but it helps.

I was working a doggie daycare for several months when a new client (a labradoodle) was introduced to the group. "Red" would stand on his hind legs and open the doors. By the end of the week, 4 other regulars had learned to do so as well.

Utter chaos ensued!

I know the other dogs learned this behavior from Red, because they had never done this previously.

could not agree more with you....Emma used to train with her breeder who was also training his dog for his MH title and she picked up quite a bit from watching that dog (also her sire) run through his drills.

That is neat. I, too, think they definitely learn from another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast