Tal and I dodged a bullet (maybe) this AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tal and I dodged a bullet (maybe) this AM

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultTal and I dodged a bullet (maybe) this AM

You may remember the other day I posted about some new neighbors who have a boxer mix that they chained to a tree. It is always shady in their backyard and the dogg appears to be getting enough food and water. Attention and socialization are another matter.

Anyway, the folks have never left the dog outside at night. Tal's ball went to a bush by my garage and when he went to retrieve it he stopped and then started to walk towards where their dog usually is. I thought oh no...the one time I play with him out here...imagine my surprise when I saw a dog chained to their tree and it was a Pit Bull. The Pit and Tal were staring eachother down so I knew I needed to get Tal outta there fast. Which I did. Oh I was calm about it and it was easy once I put his ball in front of him. I also had him by the collar.

I think I will stick to our backyard, at least before full daylight, for in yard play.

I think my heart stopped for about 10 seconds too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tal and I dodged a bullet (maybe) this AM

Good idea! That could have been bad.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

That sounds too close for comfort. Can you put up a fence?
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

That must have been scary. Glad Tal didn't make it all the way to visit that dog.

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Glad everything worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilprincee
    That sounds too close for comfort. Can you put up a fence?
    Well, the area where we were was in my side yard and I'd need to put a fence down my driveway. There is a fence in the backyard so it is safe there.

I had been looking around outside in the early AM causa I had thought of playing fetch with him in the sideyard simply because of its greater area. Won't be doing that.

Plus, I have never seen this dog before so I have no idea what the deal is. And today when I got home, their regular dog was back and I'd bet anything it is a boxer pit mix. I'm going on the ears and shape of his head. Certainly no expert, but I'd bet on it.

Any dog chained up requires caution...that scenario does not give me a warm fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    That must have been scary. Glad Tal didn't make it all the way to visit that dog.
    Yeah me too. Even when he chases his ball he never goes too far away. And I am always close by. When we are outside, he is pretty much never out of my sight. He offered no resistance when I brought him away from that situation and that is why I work on training him. I knowthese kinds of things are likely to arise from time to time and I want to do everything humanly possible to make things safe for him.

Paula is offline Senior Member

Glad Tal was a good boy and didn't get any closer.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

The stare down is not a good thing - it may be something like a challenge. You did the right thing to go after him instead of calling him. I once had an experience with my Kasa(YF 1990-2002) who I saw staring down a GSD a few yards away from her(both off leash). When I called, she turned to come to me, but that was a signal for the GSD to go after her. She quickly turned back and continued the stare before he got to her and he stopped. I then went after her. She was 10 YO at the time and would be the loser if they got into it.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

That would have made my heart stop, too! One morning when I was taking Haylee on her walk, we came across a dog running loose. It stopped and just stared at us, no wagging tail, no nothing, just a stare. It was a pit mix of some sort. I just calming turned and went the other way. I was so glad it did not follow us. It was a bit unsettling. Glad things turned out OK for you.

Yeah and it just confirms to me that it is the owners who should be the focus and not the dog. Given the right training, a Pit can be as gentle and well behaved as any. These sucm who train them to fight should all be locked up.

And these legislators who want to ban Pits don't seem to understand that scum will just move on to another breed..like a Rottie or maybe Dobie. Eventually, if they get them banned, one by one, then the scum could still get them for fighting purposes and those of us who care for our furkids and want to improve the breed as breeders or have a pet could not get a dog if our life depended on it. Yeah that's really logical and makes total sense to me. Totally. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast