Puppy help... not a lab UPDATED 8-27-08 at top....

Thread: Puppy help... not a lab UPDATED 8-27-08 at top....

DefaultPuppy help... not a lab UPDATED 8-27-08 at top....

She took him to my vet, here's the update, and its GOOD!!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Well, I got a different vet than the one we had when I went with you. And he happened to have an australian shepherd that he had the exact same problem with, every single thing I told him that Bartman had done as we have had him, his dog Cinch did the same stuff when he was younger. That is the brown aussie that is in the office sometimes.

What it comes down to, is his spinchter muscle is not developed. It just isn't strong enough to do the job. That is why he can't just hold it for a couple hours and then have time to give warning that he has to go. That's why, if he's gotta go it just squirts right out!! No bladder infection, no irritations or anything. Checked him from the outside in and said he is perfectly healthy except for his spinchter muscle. He said that it is more likely to get better when his hormones start kicking in, so we won't neuter him till he is at least 6 months but more likely 9 months old. He said that those male hormones do more to strenthen that muscle than "growing out of it" ever does. In the meantime he said to get back to crate training him and put newspaper in there so its easy to clean but so I don't have pee pee towels to wash every day. Limit water intake before bed etc etc........

A friend of mine has a Boston/Aussie puupy and is at her wits end- hubby is ready to "get rid of" the puppy, she's desperate. ANY ideas what the lil guy's problem is?

Here's her email:

4 month old Boston Terrier/Australian Shepherd X. We seem to have no control over bladder function. He is fed on a schedule and taken outside to potty on a schedule. He will urinate what seems to be a pretty good amount (not just marking or dribbling) while outside, but still urinate another good full amount after 5-10 minutes inside the house. Within 5-10 minutes of being placed in his kennel he will urinate in the kennel, even though he is taken outside to urinate immediately before being placed in the kennel. Last night was in the house for 10 minutes, urinated on floor, told "no" and taken outside immediately. Urinated quite a bit outside and was brought back inside. Within 10-15 minutes was just standing there watching me while I talked to my husband, showed no signs of anxiety and just partially squatted and urinated a large amount on the floor again. Ongoing problem since being brought home at exactly 8 weeks of age. When examined by a vet a few weeks ago, he looked to be healthy with no infections, etc. and I was told he "may" grow out of it.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy help... not a lab

That sounds like a definite UT problem. I would go to a different vet and have him cheked for UTIs. He's not on any meds, is he?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Does he have free will to water? If he is drinking a lot of water, this could be a problem. If not I would talk to the vet again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

We experienced similiar problems with Cricket at that age. She is a very small dog and I had her checked for UTI becuase she was urinating so frequently.
    we thought she would never get housetrained ..but a couple of weeks and it went away and she could hold it. I think she just couldn't hold it.
    If UTI is ruled out, could it be (especially with the mix that the dog is small x big breed cross) that the dogs bladder isn't developing as fast as the growth of the dog? someone with more experience could maybe have more insight.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

get the urine checked at the vets, and i'd suggest taking the pup out again 5-10 min after going outside and encourage potty again.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

kaytris is offline Senior Member

did they actually test the urine, or just do a general check up?

Any chance this could be submissive urination?

brody is offline Senior Member

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that perhaps the puppy has learned to be unclean... a puppy choosing to pee in a crate has usually had no choice but to be dirty at some point...

house training a puppy (or adult) who has been kept in dirty conditions is a long tough road...I would be using a tether (to me) much more then crating with a 4 month old in this case..

let me describe the routine I used on a puppy mill horror we had ... she is still not perfect ih her house - but the new home admits its mostly they forget she will not ask to go out

Emmy was a 8 year old boston terrier when she came to a local shelter.. she needed significant eye surgery and they called me.. they had contacted the breeder and found out she had been given to a new home just months before and they wouldn't take her back (she actually has quite a few champion offspring- very sad). The tracked down the new home and the response was her eye is gross and she is dirty.. we don't want her.. so they called me

She was truly the most filthy dog I had ever dealt with to that point but I learned so much from her... She would actually pee on your lap rather then move away- dog beds, human beds were her toilet ..it quickly became apparent that she had been kenneled with bedding for many many hours on end...
    she went back to puppy schedule- out every two hours no matter what adn I gave up on crating her ... if she started to pee in the house I simply scooped her up and got her outside- no reaction apart from being moved- if she finished peeing outside or chose to pee or poop outside she got HUGE praise like nothing I had ever given out before..I even used food which is something I have rarely had to resort to... it took months of this routine (including out at midnight and 6 am) before I saw a huge change (tho thank heavens she gave up peeing on people fairly quickly)
    eventually she was clean in an empty crate... no bedding at all or she'll still pee in it ...

her new home (6 years or so now) still has to maintain a schedule - she needs to go out every 4-5 hours and she'll NEVER ask to go out.. if she is soundly sleeping and wakes up and they don't see her awake she wanders to the back door and squats so they have become well trained

now I'm not suggetsing anybody should have to be that vigilant after some work - I offer that so your friend knows they aren't alone - and ALL dogs will get cleaner with work and dedication - some dogs may never be perfect but they will see results if they stick with it

on another note- it has been my experience that up to 6-8 months the people are the ones who are housetrained - somewhere around the 6-8 month mark the dog "gets" whats going on and can be considered house trained so the people shoudl be patient too

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Thanks for all the great advice. Little Bart has an appointment with a new Vet on Saturday to get to the bottom of this... hopefully this is fixable!!

Lucy
    Home of:

Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

brody is offline Senior Member

it is fixable and it is manageable at least mostly

in some ways it would be great if it was a UTI - treat it and the problem should clear up ... but bostons aren't always the fastest to pick up on housetraining and aussies are very very sharp smart dogs - combined they probably have quite the handful!

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

DefaultRe: Puppy help... not a lab UPDATED 8-27-08 at top....

Bumping up for the update....
    Home of:

Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-