GPS collar

Thread: GPS collar

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultGPS collar

Going to watch Good Morning America this morning since I heard they will have a segment on keeping track of your pet. GPS collar was mentioned.

Brookville, Pa.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: GPS collar

I saw one of those in a magazine article last year. It is a very cool idea, but the collar was huge. It was like strapping a handheld gps to the dogs collar. I hope they have made them smaller since then. Please let us know what they say.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Let me know if they have anything to say about how waterproof they are.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Neat idea! Happens to be in an area that I know something about. There is no reason that this could not be made into a package the size of a small woman's watch with a short wire extending out of it. It cold be embedded in the plastic snap buckle on that type of collar. The biggest component in it is the 'watch' battery. The size would be driven by making it large enough for a human to replace the battery and an on/off switch. No need for a display of any kind, 'the dog can't read'. Excluding the cost of the battery, because I am not familiar with the cost, the thing could be manufactured for less than $5 factory cost. WOuld probably retail for $75+.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

That sounds good to me Endofile. The one I saw that was huge was listed for around $400 if I remember correctly. At the time I remember thinking to myself, "why does it have to be so big, they have gps in cell phones that are smaller". I would be curious to know how the unit is tracked. I assume through a website, probably requiring a subscription fee.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Somebody has to provide the tracking service, or at minmum access to the collar device. Our computers could take that information and map it to something we comprehend with the right software, bot terribly complicated or expensive. But you are right, a service for profit somewhere.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

I will have to look at the JRT stuff. Those that hunt with JRT's use locator collars to find underground terriers. And I am sure that they have GPS collars small enough for Jacks.
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748