Double the fun?

Thread: Double the fun?

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultDouble the fun?

Oh my goodness.....it looks like I may be adding a member to my family in the next few of months. I blame this board...lol. I can't wait! Any advice? If the breeding takes place I don't think the puppy will come home till December. I'm not looking forward to the winter house training but that's a small price to pay.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Double the fun?

Advice? Post pics, of course! ;D

Winter house training does suck. Towels by the door are a big winner for wiping the little puppy paws when they come inside. In a way it's good though, it teaches them how to tolerate being handled right away.

Good luck! I always said I wanted a December/Winter puppy (one to come home in the Winter/December). Most of the litters I've viewed are either late winter (after new year's) or spring/summer. Never any Fall or Winter/December litters.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi was born in December, and I brought her home in January. (2000) I remember it was cold for her to go outside and she would relieve herself right at the bottom of the steps. I made her a little coat by cutting off a sweatshirt sleeve and making two little holes in it for her front paws.
    Looking forward to seeing the new addition.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matsuro
    Good luck! I always said I wanted a December/Winter puppy (one to come home in the Winter/December). Most of the litters I've viewed are either late winter (after new year's) or spring/summer. Never any Fall or Winter/December litters.
    The reputable breeders I've talked to do not have litters that time of year to avoid the puppies for presents thing at Christmas. Evidently many of those cute cuddly puppies grow into dogs and end up in the shelter when the owner no longer wants them.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Chrismas Puppy!!!
    We were looking for a pup for a while but found a reputable breeder who had a litter in September. (A good breeder will talk to the family and make sure the puppy isn't a random Christmas gift.)

Advice: Forget about your tree! I was so scared that Boo would eat an ornament that I put the bulbs away and left our bare tree up for a few weeks. He loved to hide out under there...and open presents. Christmas isn't exactly a puppy-proof holiday is it?
    Katie and Boo

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsuro
    The reputable breeders I've talked to do not have litters that time of year to avoid the puppies for presents thing at Christmas. Evidently many of those cute cuddly puppies grow into dogs and end up in the shelter when the owner no longer wants them.
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that (reputable breeder = no litter in december). Their gals go into heat when they are good and ready. If unfortunately that means it's near the holidays there isn't a whole lot that can be done (especially if you are balancing two bitches and coordinating litters).

But - you are right that a good breeder will take certain precautions. Not allowing the puppies to go home the week of Christmas (even if it means keeping them until they are 9-11wks) and making double sure the perspective buyers are commited. And things like - not allowing gifts (all adults must be aware of the situation)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

No assumptions made. I was only qualifying the type of breeders I've spoken to. They were all reputable. It was not meant to be a description of a reputable breeder. I understand the bitches go in heat when nature tells them and I suppose these breeders just choose not to breed them if it occurs at that time of year. Several of them specifically avoided fall breedings for this reason. Most of the breeders I spoke to only produce one or two litters a year, usually early spring and early summer.

Back on topic, I expect lots of pics of the new one when he or she arrives Yuna. Are you looking for a girl or boy? How old is your current pup?

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Two is a blast! Be very careful two leads to three,which leads to four,which...........
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Yuna is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep274
    Back on topic, I expect lots of pics of the new one when he or she arrives Yuna. Are you looking for a girl or boy? How old is your current pup?
    Floss is just over a year. We're still trying to decided about a boy or a girl. I really want a boy, the only problem is the dogs won't be spayed or neutered for quite some time because we have plans to show both. I know 2 girls will be a lot less worry, I've just always wanted a boy, I love the way they look. We've also decided to get a black lab this time.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss