I meet a senior lab last night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I meet a senior lab last night

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultI meet a senior lab last night

A new guy came with his two labs to the dog park. I made a comment on how one is really cute. He was running all over the park. Chasing mambo, sticks and whatever else. He did have a slight limp, but not to bad.

The guys ends up telling me the boy is 12. I swear I wouldn't have guessed over 4 or 5. Very little gray, or is it grey . He had recently been hit by a car and his back end was all rods and pins. I was shocked at how well this guy was getting around and how healthy and young he looked and acted. The guy told me everyone even his vet had said to just put him down when he was hit. The 5k was to much to spend for such an old dog.

Most of the lab owners I know have lost the labs around 10 or so. And this guys was just beeming with life. I can only guess that the dog has had a wonderful life.

How old do labs normally live?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I meet a senior lab last night

The lab I grew up with lived till 13

Wow! I can't believe that lab was doing so well considering his age and the accident he had!

I've heard that they live from around 10 - 15 years....I have no clue if this is correct though....and there are always exceptions.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo
    A new guy came with his two labs to the dog park. I made a comment on how one is really cute. He was running all over the park. Chasing mambo, sticks and whatever else. He did have a slight limp, but not to bad.

The guys ends up telling me the boy is 12. I swear I wouldn't have guessed over 4 or 5. Very little gray, or is it grey . He had recently been hit by a car and his back end was all rods and pins. I was shocked at how well this guy was getting around and how healthy and young he looked and acted. The guy told me everyone even his vet had said to just put him down when he was hit. The 5k was to much to spend for such an old dog.
    I'll never forget the one lab I met at the dog park. He was the most active dog there, playing and running with all the other dogs, retrieving like a fiend, over and over and over. I got to talking to his owner, and asked him how old he was. I would have been surprised if she had stated any age over a year, but she told me:

"He's NINE." with a slight :

I was totally floored. I've been around many many dogs and I'm usually pretty accurate when I guess their age, and I put him at around 10 months, give or take a few.

;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Aww... I'm glad he made such a great recovery it sounds like he has a great owner.

One of our family labs growing up lived to be 12... average lifespan of a labrador retriever is 10-12 years

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

I love to hear how senior Labs still run around and have fun.

The Lab I had growing up died just a few weeks before his 15th birthday. And the last time I saw him (a year before he passed), even though he could barely see and hear, he played ball with me like he did as a pup.

Okay, now I'm all teary, remembering Woody. Hijack over. Carry on.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

k8show is offline Senior Member

What a good story about a happy boy! To think he could have missed out on all that fun.
    Katie and Boo

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo
    ...How old do labs normally live?
    Well, Mick lived to be 15 1/2. When he was 6, someone at football practice asked me how old he was. When I told them, they said something about how big he was going to be. They thought he was 6 months old, not 6 years.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I have 2 labs from the same breeder, though not the same litter and they are both 10.

The black one is still very active and full of beans but the chocolate one has really slowed down and is acting like a very old man.

I guess it's like us humans we all age differently and some stay more agile for longer than others.

I just posted a sad tale about my old boy in senior labs yesterday.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast