I have a strange question.....

Thread: I have a strange question.....

DefaultI have a strange question.....

Ok, so I know this might be a strange question, but I have to ask. How do shelters guess the approximate age of a dog without knowing when their birthday is? I ask because we got Dozer, our yellow lab, from a shelter and they said he was about 3 years old...and I'm wondering how they came to this conclusion. He does have some white around his muzzle, but we can't tell if that is aging, or if it's just his natural color (his tummy is white too). He has a very, very low activity level...but we don't know if it is because he's older than 3, or if it's because he's still battling his mental issues (he was severely neglected prior). Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I have a strange question.....

When we got kitty Simba from SPCA, they said they try to estimate by the animal's teeth. I have no clue if that's true or accurate though.

labby is offline Senior Member

They guess a lot. LOL. Sometimes you can be pretty accurate with the teeth.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I heard teeth too but I think mostly it's a guessing game.

brody is offline Senior Member

educated guessing if the animal is a stray

you'd be amazed at the number of people who say things like this though

" oh I found this dog in the park by my house - she's a spayed female, she's probably about 6 and she seems to answer to the name bessie"

people don't want to feel guilty so they LIE about the animals true source (best story EVER for me on that was a guy who wanted us to take a stray iguana that was on wall of apartment building - iguana turned out to be over 4 feet long not including tail and guy was totally comfortable handling it- HAHA)

but anyhow back to your question ...
    teeth can be a good indicator of age-

some of the things I think through before guessitamating:
    how much tartar is there- how worn are teeth- how likely is it dog has had dental cleaning?

how rhummy are eyes- any sign of cataracts-

how is energy level- how is coat- how is weight

all these things must be factored together to be at all accurate - for example a very thin dog with busted teeth could be quite young and have been trying to chew a chain - coat will be sparse likely and dog will be quiet ... saying the dog is 8 might be a good superficial guess but a bit of decent feed and a bit of love and suddenly the dog could be 2!

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller