Rawhide alternatives?...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rawhide alternatives?...

DefaultRawhide alternatives?...

Hi, I haven't posted her in a loooong time. I wanted to bring up the topic of rawhides (yet again I'm sure) and to share some pics of my boy.

I know everyone has their opinion on wether they're safe or not. Pete has been eating them pretty much his whole life. I understand the choking concerns and it's a valid point. I'm more worried about buying chemical free ones or if there is something that your labs tend to like just as much. Face it, rawhides twists are cheap, which is a big appeal to the wallet. Are the pressed bones any better, and if so why? I'd just like to know what your dogs like so I can weight my options.

And now to the boy. He turns seven in December and of course is addicted to the water. His favorite place on earth is the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. My parents have a house on the water so it's great for all of us. We won't even mention we're going (which is 9 hours away anyway) but when we get a few miles from there he just starts staring at me. Then soon he begins with the non stop whining and barking. It's great. Here are some pics from his last visit a few weeks ago...

I just love this pic of him and my girlfriend...

While we were at the lake we discovered there was a dock dogs competition going on. We really had no choice but to let him compete. He ended up coming in 2nd place in his wave!! We were unable to stay for the whole event, but we had a blast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rawhide alternatives?...

Great pics!

To answer your question, we use only real bones (marrow bones). They are very inexpensive (less that a dollar for a good sized one), and have no added chemicals. We give then to the dogs frozen (the bones, not the dogs).
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

BudGirl8 Guest

Great pics!!

I don't do rawhides. I just buy the non-edible nylabones and Billie chews on those. Same benefits to the teeth with no chance of choking or bowel obstruction. She's happy, I'm happy and my wallet is happy. The big one is about 17 bucks at Petsmart and it lasts for a few months. I'd say that's less expensive than rawhides, depending on your dog's consumption.

I haven't tried marrow bones but that's because Billie has a sensitive tummy. I might try it one of these days though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Where do you get the marrow bones?

Allie is offline Senior Member

I also give my dogs raw marrow bones. I get mine at Publix grocery store.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Great pictures!
    I also give Brigetta raw marrow bones and the souper nylabones. I get my marrow bones from the butcher and I've gotten them at Publix before as well.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tricialeigh4jc
    Where do you get the marrow bones?
    I think most folks get them at their local butchers.

I think that if your dog has been getting rawhide for 7 years now and he's always been fine, I don't see any real reason to stop now. I'd just stick with the non-colored/smoked ones and I'm sure he'll be fine.

The worry with rawhide is if they tear off chunks and swallow them. This can lead to choking, obstructions, and rawhide also isn't very digestible, so if they are "eating"(not just chewing) a lot of it then it can build up and cause a blockage that way. But as I said, if your boy hasn't had a problem with it in years and years, then he's probaly A-Ok.

I only give nylabones. My guys eat stuff waaaaay too fast and I worry about teeth breakage with marrow bones (I've heard of a few people whose dogs have in fact broken teeth on the bones) So I always figure, better safe than sorry. :-\

Beautiful pictures, I love the dock diving one! soo cool!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Probably a stupid question, but - what exactly do you ask the butcher for? Do you ask for a marrow bone, or do you use another term? Do you get beef bones, pork bones ??

Just don't want to look too clueless at the butcher

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tricialeigh4jc
    Probably a stupid question, but - what exactly do you ask the butcher for? Do you ask for a marrow bone, or do you use another term? Do you get beef bones, pork bones ??
    Just ask for beef marrow, or soup, bones. The butcher will know what you mean.

Seamus and Flynn

This Nylabone last a real long time:
    http://www.nylabone.com/products/non...-dogs-knot.htm

I avoid rawhide chews beacaus I have found it causes very unpleasant gas emissions. ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast