Rough playing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rough playing

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRough playing

Does your pup play rough with other dogs?

We take Mambo to the park every day to play. It's the same dogs there everyday. They all get along really well. To me they all play rough. No biting or anything. Just more of running into each other or what I call wrestling. He has never hurt another dog. Never growled or anything. But it looks really rough. The people that come all the time don't care. But, when a new person comes in they tend to be really scared and I have been told Mambo is aggressive. Mambo loves to try to pin them down and sit on them. He is also VERY clumsy when playing. He will run into anything and everything while running. He has hit people, trees and other dogs.

Is this something other dogs here do, or does he maybe play to hard. When I think its getting really rough. I make him sit down and be calm for a few minutes.

I also wonder if Mambo tends to be looked at as aggressive since he is black. The other dogs could be playing the same way, but Mambo gets called out on it.

How to you teach him not to play so hard?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Rough playing

When my crew gets too rambunctious they get told "gentle" or "stop" and put in time out to settle down. It's very unusual I have to do this with Aidan or Emma but the puppy gets too wild sometimes and they wont correct her as much as they probably should.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How to you teach him not to play so hard?
    I don't think you can.

Why not look for people with other Labs, Lab mixes, &/or Goldens and arrange a weekly time and place to meet so your dogs can play together?

Labs tend to play somewhat rough (to the eyes of inexperienced peeps) but rarely ever hurt each other. They do tend to have their own style of play which differs from that of some other breeds.

4-5 games played at our weekly LabFests are:

BiteyFace/Neck Chewing: In the 2nd version, one will be on her back seeming to fend off the other while the one standing chews the neck of the first -- then they exchange places and roles.

Take Away/Keep Away: One Lab picks up an object (stick, Training Dummy, etc.) and tries to keep it away from another/others trying to take it away.

Race you to bring it back: a peep slings a training dummy, all dogs race after it, and contest with each other which can grab it from another to bring it back. Then repeat.

Lions chasing the Wildebeeste: my Puff, so far, has always played the role of the Wildebeeste and cuts great ovals sometimes 100 yards in diameter while the others are chasing, strung out behind her like race horses at a track.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The good thing is the normal crew of dogs at the park everyday are great with Mambo. The owners all know its play. It just the newbies coming in. It just makes me feel bad to see and hear them say he is mean an aggressive. Even though I know he isn't. We have watched a few people leave the park because of Mambo and another lab there.

He also tries this at the beach, but he doesn't understand you can't wrestle in the water.. :P

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Just make sure you are close by and able to control Mambo quickly if he is geting too rough, or other people think he is too rough. Everyone has a different definition of what is acceptable as far as rough play and dog behaviour goes so make sure you are sensitive to people who might like the rougher play.

Those people aren't ready for the dog park.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta plays REALLY hard and rough if the other dogs do too. Never any growling, but a lot of fast running and chasing, tons of bitey face and wrestling. It looks a little scary. When she is with my sister's GSD, they are non stop and I'll sit on the deck and watch them, but if they are running, I stay out of their way. I worry about little accidents...Brigetta has bitten her own tongue during bitey face :

In daycare they tell me that when they put Brigetta with other labs or the weims, the dogs never stop and seem to gain more energy from each other, but if they put her with a calmer dog, she adapts to that dog.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Quote Originally Posted by Brigettas Mom
    Brigetta plays REALLY hard and rough if the other dogs do too. Never any growling, but a lot of fast running and chasing, tons of bitey face and wrestling. It looks a little scary. When she is with my sister's GSD, they are non stop and I'll sit on the deck and watch them, but if they are running, I stay out of their way. I worry about little accidents...Brigetta has bitten her own tongue during bitey face :

In daycare they tell me that when they put Brigetta with other labs or the weims, the dogs never stop and seem to gain more energy from each other, but if they put her with a calmer dog, she adapts to that dog.

Sounds like you are describing Mambo. Certain dogs he just lays on the ground with and they kinda just nuzzle each other. But when you get a group of very hyper dogs together, they just go nuts and have lots of fun. It does look scary. But they never hurt each other, no biting. We never have fights between the dogs.

There is one dog there that when playing, his hair is up, he is growling and everything. But he has never tried to hurt another dog. We like to say he is all bark and no bite. We are use to him. But others would be worried for sure.

I care how the owners feel and could understand. I wouldn't want to be the cause of the dogs leaving and not having fun, if mambo has been there awhile and they are worried. I will just leave.

BudGirl8 Guest

Billie plays the same way and Bob's description is exactly how she plays...she also does a very good imitation of a strong safety...I'd say she's the Lab version of John Lynch coming out of the backfield....WHAM! and the other dog is flying. She just lowers her shoulder while she's running at them full tilt and sends them through the air.

I hope she doesn't get booted out of daycare for it, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. ;D

I don't think you can teach them not to play so hard, all you can do is verbally correct them. Try the can of pennies thing if he's really going at it.

Bailey's a rough player too, loves all the games Bob Pr. mentioned. She even plays with the hair standing up on her back, but it's up the whole time she's playing & has never been aggressive to another dog - I think it's part of her excitement.
    I like Bob Pr.'s suggestion to find labs or the like to play with too because they all play in a similar way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast