Paw Pads Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw Pads Question

DefaultPaw Pads Question

What breeds have pink or light colored paw pads? These puppies have black and pink pads. Sometimes they are a shade of red and I think they have skinned them or something.

Oh, and which breeds have back dew claws? One has a dew claw that isn't attached to bone. (It is getting removed with the neuter on Tuesday.)

Just trying to figure out the mix in them. I know for sure lab, but the other is iffy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

bumpedy bump bump. bumpedy bump bump.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

As far as I know, nail color depends on the color of the dog more than breed. Mick had gold colored nails, some with a dark stripe down the middle, Caleb, too. I don't remember seeing that color nail on darker colored dogs.

Back dew claws-I know Pyrs should have 2 dew claws on each rear leg. Briards, too. That said, years ago my sister had a Lab mix who had back dew claws. I think they crop up from time to time in a lot of breeds. Here's a site I found on rear dew claws.
    http://perso.orange.fr/corine.lundqvist/polydogs.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    As far as I know, nail color depends on the color of the dog more than breed.
    I agree. Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???

But anyways, sometimes weird colorations can happen on any breed, so I wouldn't go by that to try to guess the breeds. I'd look more at head/face shape, body structure.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    ...Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???...
    If she was a Lab, sounds like she was a Dudley.

...Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???...
    If she was a Lab, sounds like she was a Dudley.
    Sorry, Her name was Tinkerbell, she was a wheaten terrier.... should have clarified that, sorry!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Sorry, Her name was Tinkerbell, she was a wheaten terrier.... should have clarified that, sorry!
    Oh, I knew that. What I meant was the coloring you described is refered to as dudley in Labs. Guess I shouldn't have capitalized dudley. Have no idea why, but I always do. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, I knew that. What I meant was the coloring you described is refered to as dudley in Labs. Guess I shouldn't have capitalized dudley. Have no idea why, but I always do. Sorry for the confusion.
    IIss OK. I'm sure it's a similar gene/group of genes resonsible for both.

Ever since visiting Laura's "mis-mark" page, I rarely try to identify dog breeds based on coloring!! I always think that it must be frustrating for the folks who own those dogs, trying to explain to people "yes, he is a purebred lab...."
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

The thing about these pups is that they are definitely yellow lab, plus something extra. I can't seem to figure it out. There are 2 Great Pyrenees that are able to roam freely in these parts, but I am not sure if the male is neutered or not. Sometimes when they trot, from the side they look like greyhounds in movement. They have a longer snout than a lab would.

Oh well.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That's what they reminded me of Amanda, a bit of Great Pyranese.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast