Paw Pads Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Paw Pads Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,426

    DefaultPaw Pads Question

    What breeds have pink or light colored paw pads? These puppies have black and pink pads. Sometimes they are a shade of red and I think they have skinned them or something.

    Oh, and which breeds have back dew claws? One has a dew claw that isn't attached to bone. (It is getting removed with the neuter on Tuesday.)

    Just trying to figure out the mix in them. I know for sure lab, but the other is iffy.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,426

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    bumpedy bump bump. bumpedy bump bump.

  4. #3
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    As far as I know, nail color depends on the color of the dog more than breed. Mick had gold colored nails, some with a dark stripe down the middle, Caleb, too. I don't remember seeing that color nail on darker colored dogs.

    Back dew claws-I know Pyrs should have 2 dew claws on each rear leg. Briards, too. That said, years ago my sister had a Lab mix who had back dew claws. I think they crop up from time to time in a lot of breeds. Here's a site I found on rear dew claws.
    http://perso.orange.fr/corine.lundqvist/polydogs.html

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    As far as I know, nail color depends on the color of the dog more than breed.
    I agree. Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

    She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???

    But anyways, sometimes weird colorations can happen on any breed, so I wouldn't go by that to try to guess the breeds. I'd look more at head/face shape, body structure.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  7. #5
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    ...Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

    She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???...
    If she was a Lab, sounds like she was a Dudley.

  8. #6
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    ...Our Wheaten (breed standard - black gums, pads, brown eyes) had green eyes, and light brown pads, and pink gums. :-\ (I thought it made her all the cuter! ;D)

    She came from a very active conformation show breeder. They said that she was "missing a color gene" or something like that..... ???...
    If she was a Lab, sounds like she was a Dudley.
    Sorry, Her name was Tinkerbell, she was a wheaten terrier.... should have clarified that, sorry!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  9. #7
    MicksMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,330

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Sorry, Her name was Tinkerbell, she was a wheaten terrier.... should have clarified that, sorry!
    Oh, I knew that. What I meant was the coloring you described is refered to as dudley in Labs. Guess I shouldn't have capitalized dudley. Have no idea why, but I always do. Sorry for the confusion.

  10. #8
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Sorry, Her name was Tinkerbell, she was a wheaten terrier.... should have clarified that, sorry!
    Oh, I knew that. What I meant was the coloring you described is refered to as dudley in Labs. Guess I shouldn't have capitalized dudley. Have no idea why, but I always do. Sorry for the confusion.
    IIss OK. I'm sure it's a similar gene/group of genes resonsible for both.

    Ever since visiting Laura's "mis-mark" page, I rarely try to identify dog breeds based on coloring!! I always think that it must be frustrating for the folks who own those dogs, trying to explain to people "yes, he is a purebred lab...."
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,426

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    The thing about these pups is that they are definitely yellow lab, plus something extra. I can't seem to figure it out. There are 2 Great Pyrenees that are able to roam freely in these parts, but I am not sure if the male is neutered or not. Sometimes when they trot, from the side they look like greyhounds in movement. They have a longer snout than a lab would.

    Oh well.

  12. #10
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: Paw Pads Question

    That's what they reminded me of Amanda, a bit of Great Pyranese.



    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25