Is your dog a fast or slow eatter?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your dog a fast or slow eatter?

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs your dog a fast or slow eatter?

I was watching my two eat this morning and Mugs is pretty much done eatting before Sassy. Sassy is the slowest eatter plus she lays down then she's eatting, talk about lazy.

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is you dog a fast or slow eatter?

Both of mine resemble vacuums at meal-time. I don't think either of them even chew, let alone taste anything.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Riley is very slow. He will take some out of the bowl, go the next room put it on the floor and eat it a bite at a time. Sometimes he will stop and play for a while, then go back to it. Does not seem to as food motivated as some of the stories I have heard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would say they are medium/fast. In the past I would have said super fast, that was until I witnessed one of my dog walking clients Lab's wolf his food down like he had been starved.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I would say they are medium/fast. In the past I would have said super fast, that was until I witnessed one of my dog walking clients Lab's wolf his food down like he had been starved.
    I remember watching a show on Animal Planet called "Animal Precinct", it follows animal control officers in New York as they go about their jobs, rescuing animals, etc.

One episode, the AC officer lady wanted to "test" whether this one dog had been starved or not by offering him food and watching him eat. She came to the conclusion that he had obviously been starved by the way he was wolfing down the food. He was eating almost exactly how Baloo eats. :-[ :

When we were in puppy class, he was so treat-motivated that the trainer looked at Dan and I and said, (in a really curt tone) "did you feed him this morning..??" (she was not joking. Oye.)
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta used to be a fast eater. I would have to put her kong or busy buddy in her bowl to slow her down or she would get sick. Then one day out of the blue, she started eating slow. Brigetta will sometimes lay down and eat too. She is the only lab I know that is not food motivated.
    Prudence, my dachshund mix, is an extremely fast eater.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses, 7 months. Went from slow, casual, not really interested, a bite here, and bite there through the first 5 months. Now she eats when the food is put in the bowls, i would call it a determined steady pace. Will look up if you talk to her or come near. But will finish if I don't make her stop.

Newman, 6 years old. Had to be trained to sit until the food is in the bowl and told he can eat. I swear he would get his mouth under the cup and catch it all as it fell into the bowl. Not sure if he eats it by picking the food up with his mouth and tongue or just inhales deeply and sucks it all in at one time. He has done this since the first time I fed him a long time ago.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

One episode, the AC officer lady wanted to "test" whether this one dog had been starved or not by offering him food and watching him eat. She came to the conclusion that he had obviously been starved by the way he was wolfing down the food. He was eating almost exactly how Baloo eats.
    LOL. Embarrassing, isn't it?

The thing about Bruce (the Lab, a rescue dog) is that in his previous home he was extremely overweight and allowed to eat whatever he liked. Obviously now he is at the correct weight his portions are rationed and therefore he eats like he has been starved to death.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I think if Pitch has posable thumbs, he would pick the bowl up and pour down his throat. He can't get it in quick enough. I think he could win any food eating contest out there! :-\

labby is offline Senior Member

6 fast eaters here. Well most of the time. Sometimes Seamus likes to savor his.

Laura

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast