does anyone know what this is?

Thread: does anyone know what this is?

Defaultdoes anyone know what this is?

We have my brothers 3 year old golden right now and I thought he had a hot spot so we brought him to the vets today. He has a pretty bad hot spot on his back hip, and also has fleas. The vet said to make sure he doesn't lick the spot and to also keep it clean etc. He shaved the area and it's looking better. Tonight when I got home my Mom said he has something wrong with his tail. It's VERY sore, and it stinks badly. Well his hair on his tail is REALLY thick and seems to be matted where it's sore so we cant see what exactly the problem is but he wont let us even get to it. Im not sure if its puss, or if it's wet from him licking it, but it does stink bad. We have a call into the vet, but what could this be?? He can walk ok, and it doesn't apear to be a break, and there is no blood. I was just wondering what could be wrong. Im not used to the long haired dogs where you have to dig to see whats up. He needs a good grooming, no doubt about that. DOes anyone have an idea on whats up with his poor tail? Thanks guys..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: does anyone know what this is?

Possible if he has fleas, that he has a hotspot on his tail too.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

On the underside, base of his tail? Possible that he's evacuated his anal glands?

(that would REALLY stink!)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's on the underside of his tail, but it's mid way down. I thought anal glad too, as soon as I smelt it but it's not near his butt. Im thinking it's maybe some kind of absess? Maybe if he got a berry bush thorn in there and it got infected? Im not sure, but its really sore to him and when I try and part the hair to get a closer look he cries and whines like crazy. I hope the vet calls soon. Im such a worry wort, especialy when im watching someone elses' dog.

On a side note, im really disapointed in my brother. Poor Hunter (thats his name) is really over weight and has not stoped panting since he got here. I mean it was quite clear to me after being around him a couple hours he had a hot spot and I just feel like he hasn't been well cared for. He has fleas, is 85lbs, has this issue with his tail, hasn't been brushed in what looks like a while. He might be staying here untill my brother can prove he can start taking care of him.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If you can wait till he's sleepy and relaxed, and have someone to help, you can get one person to hold him still (by head and by collar, while he's laying down) so you can have a close look at the tail.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Where do you live in Vermont?

Tufts School of VetMed is in North Grafton, Mass, and if your vet isn't able to diagnose & treat the problem satisfactorily, you could ask for a referral there. (Some SVMs/CVMs allow you to self-refer but I don't think Tufts is one.)

I drive 110 miles roundtrip to KSU's CVM because I find their diagnosis and treatment generally superior to that locally (and lower costs are nice, too).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I hope the vet calls you back soon. Good for you for keeping Hunter there for awhile to get him back in shape.