OK. Here's another law passing that I must wonder about. I know they meant

Thread: OK. Here's another law passing that I must wonder about. I know they meant

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultOK. Here's another law passing that I must wonder about. I know they meant

well, but will I be breaking the law when I go to the dog shows in Ft Worth and put a show lead and collar on Boudreaux? Big brother is getting a little to big for his britches.....Take notice of the last few lines.....
    This message is being sent to the following:

East Texas Health Departments

PHR 4 & 5N Nurses

East Texas Veterinarians

East Texas Animal Control Officers

East Texas Animal Damage Management Services Staff

East Texas Extension Agents

East Texas DPS Liaison Officers

East Texas Game Wardens

East Texas County Judges

East Texas Media

This article about the new dog tethering law may be of interest to you.

James

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2007

Posted on Tue, Aug. 21, 2007

Dog-restraint law called good enforcement tool

By DAVE FERMAN
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Fred Sanderson is looking forward to Sept. 1.

On that day, a new canine-restraint law passed by the Legislature takes effect. Sanderson, Irving's animal services supervisor, will then have what he calls a great new tool to help stop pet owners from staking their dogs out all night, or in the summer heat, or when the temperature drops below freezing. Owners will also be prohibited from using pinch or choke collars on a tether, he said.

"It's a great thing," Sanderson said. "It will take a few months to educate people that habitually tether their animals, but we believe 95 percent of people will come into voluntary compliance."

Animal experts said they oppose tying up dogs because it frightens the animals. The dogs know they can't escape danger. The restraint can also make dogs more aggressive and likely to bite people.

"This is going to help us," said Lawrence Hopkins, Grapevine's animal control supervisor. "This gives us another tool to enforce the laws to give animals a better quality of life. This will mean people will be responsible for the welfare of the animal."

Violating the law will be a Class C misdemeanor, punishable with a fine up to $500. Sanderson and Hopkins said the first step will involve notifying a violator in writing. People who do not comply will be issued a citation.

Supporters hope the new law will discourage dogfighting, said Jay Sabatucci, regional program manager for the Southwest regional office of the Humane Society of the United States. The law will give animal control officers a reason to inspect a place where dogs are restrained.

"It gives them probable cause to let someone knock on the door and say, 'It looks like there's a violation -- can I look closer? Can I look at the collar?'" Sabatucci said.

Tethered dogs are usually more aggressive than those that aren't, he said.

"There's proof of that," he said. "An animal that gets off a chain is more likely to bite someone than an animal that gets off the porch. There's a lack of socialization. Most people who chain a dog can't afford a fence; the dog is a burglar alarm. The reason those animals are aggressive is they're chained up all day. How would you like it?"

But the new law also has its detractors. Laura Datkus, a Grayson County resident who owns three American pit bull terriers and a chow, said that while she agrees with parts of the law, including banning pinch collars, she finds fault with some details.

"I don't feel the law should take away a method that some dogs require to be safe and healthy and confined," said Datkus, a member of the Lone Star State American Pit Bull Terrier Club. She says that some people will simply stop tethering their dogs. The dogs could then get past a fence and "we'll have more complaints about pit bulls running loose."

More critical is Mary Beth Duerler, executive director of the San Antonio-based Responsible Pet Owners Alliance, who says the law is "completely unenforceable."

"It won't have an effect on anything," Duerler said. "Are you going to stand out there all hours of the day? It's not productive, and it won't serve any purpose."

Debra Brantner, supervisor of animal services in Euless, agrees that the parts of the law that involve time limits may cause a headache for officers. Neighbors may argue over what time a dog was restrained or for how long.

"Overall, any animal control professional will say it's a great law," she said, "but nothing is perfect. I do see where there could be issues about the time limit. It could come down to one person's word against another."

Sanderson said he is not worried about making cases against people violating the law. If he's concerned that a dog is being kept out in adverse conditions or all night, he said he can make spot checks.

Like several others, Sabatucci notes that the law is open to interpretation. In several places, it contains such terms as "reasonably" or "unreasonably." He is hoping that the courts will stringently interpret the law to give it more impact.

"We can sell it as a public safety issue, and it improves the quality of life of the animals," he said.

DOG LAW

A new dog law takes effect Sept. 1. It prohibits pet owners from using pinch or choke collars or tying up their dogs outside:

Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Within 500 feet of a school.

When the temperature falls below freezing or whenever ozone or heat advisories are issued by local or state authorities.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OK. Here's another law passing that I must wonder about. I know they meant

I don't know how the law reads - but it sounds like they are trying to keep people from TYING their dogs out, especially on a pinch collar (which of course you shouldn't do anyways). It doesn't sound like they are trying to keep you from walking your dog with one, just "tethering" or tying them out. But of course it depends on how it is worded.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OK. Here's another law passing that I must wonder about. I know they meant

If you look at the last few lines closely, it prohibits using a choke or pinch collar OR tying up a dog outside during the listed parameters..
    A new dog law takes effect Sept. 1. It prohibits pet owners from using pinch or choke collars or tying up their dogs outside:

Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Within 500 feet of a school.

When the temperature falls below freezing or whenever ozone or heat advisories are issued by local or state authorities
    The wording can sure be used rather broadly. If you put a choke or pinch collar on your dog between 10PM and 6AM, too close to a school, or when it's too hot or too cold it sounds like you're in violation. Like I said, done by well meaning folks, but the wording is done poorly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully it is just how the reporter wrote it not how the law reads.

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

What does being within 500 feet of a school have to do with anything? Sounds like a weird law. And I really hate when laws are so vague and open to interpretation. It makes it impossible to know when you're in violation.

patm is offline Senior Member

Like azlab said - that might be just how the reporter wrote it. Again - maybe they meant tying a dog out within 500 feet of a school because of kids walking by, etc. They had already said something about dogs being more agressive when tied out (and again - that's kinda true - a dog tied out already feels threaten when things go by because they know they can't move the way they want to and feel the need to defent themselves more) and kids might be tempted to go up and pet the dog - or tease it, or whatever. Could you post a link to the law? Although I hate reading those things - they tend to be pages long and in legalease.

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

I agree that it is poorly written and most likely meant to apply only to tethering. Unfortunately, most of the legislation I have read in the past is just as poorly written and often leads to confusion and abuse of the law.