Ok I am a bad mom.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok I am a bad mom.....

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultOk I am a bad mom.....

Harlee normally lets me clean her ears with kleenex but I bought some herbal earwash and thought i would give it a try. She wont even eat her treats and she is hiding under the end table in the living room, she has NEVER been scared of me before and she wont come out.

Poor Harlee!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ok I am a bad mom.....

Mambo lets us do anything to him, but clean his ears. if he happens to see the cleaner first he is gone.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I really do wonder what goes thru their heads sometimes. The herbal earwash sounds like something they would like. I guess Harlee didn't think so

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

Oh I know that feeling. All I have to say is "Duke let me check your ears" and he runs for his kennel. Or if I reach in the cabinet for the earwipes...he runs for his kennel.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

earwipes sound better than trying to dump liquid in her ear...are they made just for dogs?

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

you are not a bad mom

the newness of the experience may be making her act fearful. did you squirt the liquid into her ear? a lot of dogs don't like this and they get startled.

take a long break from this event, and try again when she is laying down. catch her off guard, but don't make a big deal of it. when you try cleaning her ears again with the solution, soak the cotton ball, and then place it into her ear and rub.

if she is acting overly fearful, give her a long break from it, do the kleenex again until she's back in her comfort zone. some days or weeks later, show her the bottle, toss a treat. put the bottle away. end training. repeat just rewarding for looking at the bottle for a while, and when you think she is ready, reward for sniffing. end training session. take a cotton ball, add the liquid, let her sniff, reward for sniffing. end training. when seeing and sniffing the bottle and the liquid becomes a commonplace occurence for her, meaning do this several times through the day, her fear should go away.

my dogs never liked ear cleanings, but they were not fearful of the experience. they gave me the sad, dramatic eyes, but didn't run away or try to resist. they just let me get the work done, and afterwards, they'd forget all about it and enjoy their rewards.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I really like the earwipes (I got them at Petco) I've tried the earwash before and no way again. I have to admit I have made progress. Duke is such a food monger (as my DH calls him), I can bribe him to come out for a cookie. It goes like this. "If you want this cookie you have to come and let me clean your ears." Believe it or not he comes out of his kennel verrrrrrry slowwwwwwly, head down but over to me. I wipe his ears and he gets cookie.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

I did try and baby her after it happened Luke, thanks for the info. Next time I try it I will use a cotton ball and not make a big deal out of it, the same as I do with kleenex! thanks!

Ear cleaning time is the only time Dee will turn down a treat. She had ear problems as a pup, so I keep a close eye on them now. She definitely doesn't like the feel of the liquid. She's better than she used to be about this, but if she sees the bottle before I put the leash on her, she's off. She also gets an irritation between her toes sometimes that I use cream on. If she sees the cream and not the little ear cleaner bottle her tail starts to wag and she rolls over and starts acting silly. I guess she loves the foot massage. Ear cleaning is really the only thing she makes a fuss over. Thankfully I don't have to do it too often now.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Yep - Rocky goes to hide when I take out the bottle :
    we work to keep it fun and light and reward for good behavior but he'll never love it!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast