Just reading Billie's journals from her stay in prison...

Thread: Just reading Billie's journals from her stay in prison...

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultJust reading Billie's journals from her stay in prison...

Some gems...

She'd been in "prison" for about 3 days and had only been spayed for about 5 days and she was her normal spazzo self. Her trainer notes a "a slight tendency to chew on things, a habit of being nosy and wanting to go into the trash, check things out on the desk, etc." HAHAHAHA yeah. Also notes a short attention span. *smirk*

It was noted that she was rabbit obsessed and jumped like a jumping bean while being jogged by an inmate. *grin* Even after five miles the dog was not tired. And I'm supposed to wear her out with a WALK?!

Notes are included about trying to make a shi-tzu into a chew toy. Glad to know it's not just with me.

"seems like everything is fresh and new to Billie because she is always so joyful!" SOOOO TRUE!!

There's two whole books of daily details of her life from March 16 to April 28. I'm going to read them over in detail and see if there's more stuff in here that I can use to help me figure out this dog. The inmate that had her was the expert trainer. I think she did some stuff with Billie that would really help me. I just have to figure it out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just reading Billie's journals from her stay in prison...

so has prison life changed her any?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

BudGirl8 Guest

other than the tattoos and the gold tooth...

Kidding!

I think it probably did her a world of good. I don't know if I could've handled her without the work they did with her. I still can't figure out how she ended up in a shelter to begin with. They report that she came to the program very dirty, with her nose scraped up, very dirty ears and needing her teeth brushed. She was very thin. But they have a birthdate on her...unless they just guessed or something. I don't know.

I sometimes wonder if she was an owner surrender because they couldn't handle her and stuck her outside and left her there :-[ or if she was a runaway (knowing her escape artist/explorer tendency). I wish I could ask her.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

oh, so this is about her life before she joined you. i thought you were describing her boarding experience while you were out of town or something.

billie's journals from her prison life sound so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BudGirl8
    I sometimes wonder if she was an owner surrender because they couldn't handle her and stuck her outside and left her there :-[ or if she was a runaway (knowing her escape artist/explorer tendency). I wish I could ask her.
    all 3 of my dogs were "strays" before they were lucky enough to be in an adoption program with a shelter or rescue group. i wonder about their previous lives, too. i can see taylor and penny getting the boot for being "too much," but with luke, i cannot help but think if he had an owner, the owner didn't appreciate him (i think he is an angle in a lab suit) or he lost his home in some sort of tradegy. luke is not one to run away or roam, but he was intact before the rescue, so he could've lost his mind, tracking a female in heat, and then lost his way back home maybe. :'(

i think prison life for penny was uneventful, and for taylor, the person who found her as a stray agreed to foster her and then pushed the rescue group to find another foster home when adoption didn't happen quickly. : for luke, prison life was harsh. he may have developed separation anxiety being kenneled. it's much better now, especially with 2 other dogs, but he doesn't like being alone, and being a tail thumper, when we adopted him, he had a happy-tail injury. that's where the tip of the tail was busted and bloody from hitting against the kennel walls.

taylor and penny never tire either, and i don't try to achieve it. besides being a lost cause, as long as they are good with responding to the rules of the house and being cooperative with my demands, the entire household is happy, and they are happy, too. instead of sleeping because they are tired, they sleep when they are bored, or because mom and dad are sleeping. taylor used to be a wildchild about a year ago. i started doing fun training with her, and i realized how smart she was, and worked on redirecting her energy, and she has calmed considerably.

BudGirl8 Guest

Oh if only they could talk (I know we had a thread on that before...what we'd ask if we could ask our dogs anything. It was a great thread!)

I started "school" with Billie last night, and it worked! Well, better than it has in a long time anyway. She did down-stay and sit-stay with me up to 6 (maybe 8?) feet away, for about 30 seconds. Good starts. Her journals said that she got all the way up to 5 minute off leash stays, and 30 minute on leash stays, without breaking. This was in 6 weeks of training. She was a quick learner, but then this inmate/trainer had her 24-7 also.

I did recalls with her and she did well. They were 6-8 feet recalls so we'll keep working on it and a few even had distractions. She broke a few times when her tennis ball was around, but still did well. There might be hope yet.

--------
    Your dogs are so cool. I hope I can get mine to be half as good as yours are someday!

keep at it, and keep it fun for both of you, over time, billie will start to improve in other aspects of her behavior than just the specifics of what you are training.

back when i was frustrated with taylor's behaviors, i couldn't figure out what was missing. i was convinced she was stubborn or disinterested with me. then, i discovered how smart she was and how easy it was to motivate her to do things. all i need is some food or a ball, and she is puddy in my hands. i wanted her to respond to praise and pats on the head, but this is not what makes her tick. she loves rewards. she loves working for rewards.

when i became a reliable source of the rewards she enjoys in life, she didn't spend a lot of time looking for her own entertainment aka getting into trouble. training became a fun game for her, and she began to see me in a new light, i think. i became important to her, at first for the goodies, but then it turned into a friendship, which goes beyond just training sessions. we have a connection now. that's what was missing before.

BudGirl8 Guest

I think you have just described my dog to a T. We have a connection. But she is obstinate. I think I just haven't been speaking to her the way she needs to be spoken to...through work and treats.

Thanks for the insight. I will keep at it. ;D