Am I asking to much?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I asking to much?

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultAm I asking to much?

My daily routine starts with getting both kids up, and taking Pitch outside for his morning business. Before he eats breakfast, I change both kids diapers, and start their breakfast. When I go to make the kids breakfast, I put Pitch in a sit, and a Stay. He can still see me from where he is sitting. Where I have him, is in front of the door he came in from outside, usually for prep when the wet weather comes, so he can dry his feet. As soon as I leave the room, to head for the kitchen, I no sooner close the gate to that room, and he comes running to the gate. Of course he wants his breakfast. So I return him back to his spot, and this will go on for 3-4 attempts. I am not getting 30 seconds out of him before he runs for the gate again. So I give up with him sitting, and put him in his cage till it is time for his breakfast. I always feed him last, for I heard your suppose to feed them last, so they don't feel like they are the leader of the pack. Why all of a sudden has he forgotten how to listen. At one point he was doing real good with his obediance, now it seems like he has amnesia, and has forgotten all that he was taught.

Am I asking to much of a 7mos old to sit and stay for longer than 30seconds? I took him for a car ride yesterday. Same thing, I put him in a sit stay on the porch, so I could get the kids in their carseats, then was going to release him so he could go too. I must of returned him to the porch a dozen times, I wasn't going to give in with him. His attention span just stinks lately, not to mention his recall. Do I start back with square one with him? We start Rally tomorrow night, and now I am wondering if I should put him in another round of obediance classes.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Am I asking to much?

Dogs do not generalize well. So sit-staying while you are in the room is not the same as telling him to sit-stay with you leaving the room. Out-of-sight sit-staying takes a good deal of training. Some dogs NEVER master it.

IMO you should ditch the sit-stay by the door while you fix his breakfast. Instead, try having him sit-stay for his meal. Place his bowl down, ask him to 'wait', let 5-10 seconds pass and then release him.

I always feed him last, for I heard your suppose to feed them last, so they don't feel like they are the leader of the pack.
    Dogs do not think like this. I would feed him as soon as he has gone out to potty. He will be much more inclined to sit quietly while the kids are eating breakfast once he has been fed. If Pitch is anything like my food hog Labs, he probably can't think straight until he has had his breakfast.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    IMO you should ditch the sit-stay by the door while you fix his breakfast. Instead, try having him sit-stay for his meal. Place his bowl down, ask him to 'wait', let 5-10 seconds pass and then release him.
    We do the same here.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So maybe I was setting him up for failure. I keep forgetting he isn't anything like my old dog that was anything short of perfection. I know he knows his basics, but lately, I just think he has forgotten all he knows!

So maybe I was setting him up for failure.
    In a nut shell - yes.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Yes, but....

Without consciously knowing what they are doing. I think dogs, like peep kids, either have to retest the rules, or be reminded that they have been through this before and need retraining. I have also been told and observed, that a command response taught, and learned on one environment does not translate without work to a different environment with dogs.

i.e. Approach by strangers on our street is conquered for the moment. Two blocks away, for get it if I don't have her in a sit right beside me before the approach.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

What would I do without JL. Sometimes the one that needs the training, is me :-\ Keep me straight JL, and thanks for putting up with me!

Sometimes the one that needs the training, is me
    We are all guilty of it!

If you want to read a great book about dog/human relationships, try 'The Other End Of The Leash' by Patricia B. McConnell. It gives a good insight into how we humans behave around our dogs.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Does that book end with a statement like the one our trainer made about Hershey Kisses behavior after demonstrating to the class that she could do everything perfectly for her. Looking at me, she said, 'Class, I think Hershey kisses problem is on the other end of the lead.'
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Does that book end with a statement like the one our trainer made about Hershey Kisses behavior after demonstrating to the class that she could do everything perfectly for her. Looking at me, she said, 'Class, I think Hershey kisses problem is on the other end of the lead.'
    That is pretty much the general feeling throughout the book. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast