Wal-Mart quietly pulled dog treats, but no recall

Thread: Wal-Mart quietly pulled dog treats, but no recall

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultWal-Mart quietly pulled dog treats, but no recall

Crap! Going to have to check the chicken jerky I picked up at Costco. HK loves these things. Hope to find US tag on the package somewhere.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20367400/

Wal-Mart quietly pulled dog treats, but no recall
    Retailer blocked sale after customers complained that animals falling sick

Updated: 1:42 a.m. CT Aug 21, 2007

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. quietly stopped selling two brands of dog treats in July, after customers voiced concerns that the Chinese products may have caused their pets to fall ill, but no recall has been announced, a company spokeswoman confirmed.

The world’s largest retailer started pulling Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading on July 26, spokeswoman Deisha Galberth said late Monday.

Wal-Mart also placed a computerized block on all cash registers to prevent workers from selling the products, Galberth said.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

'Testing process'
    “When we took it off shelves at the end of July, we pulled it based on the customer feedback so we could do testing prior to announcing anything publicly,” Galberth said. “That’s why did not make a public announcement — it was still going through the testing process.”

Wal-Mart’s action follows a massive pet food recall in March, when retailers began pulling products made in China that included the chemical melamine — a contaminant that’s a byproduct of several pesticides.

Galberth said she did not know what the specific customer complaints were about the dog treats, nor when the testing would be complete.

Galberth said she did not immediately know if the treats were sold at every Wal-Mart store.

“We are diligently testing this product,” she said.

Philadelphia television station WPVI reported last week that a woman claimed her 2-year-old Chihuahua died after eating Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips. The station reported that an autopsy found the dog died of an infection caused by toxic bacteria.
    © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20367400/

I saw that this morning. Glad you posted it! You may want to change the subject line to something about recalls or Wal-Mart jerky treats or something...?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

DefaultRe: Wal-Mart quietly pulled dog treats, but no recall

Good idea! Done!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Crap!

I buy this stuff all the time from Sams club, my boys love it.

Have had no problems with it, but the remainder will be going in the trash.

Beginning to think we have to move to a hobby farm. Need to raise vegetables, fruit, a couple cattle, and a flock of chickens. Need more acreage to raise corn and hay to see the livestock to feed Hershey. Some kind of manure processor to fertilize the plants. Starting to think about an isolated self sufficient society. No I need horses for plowing the ground since I have to be energy independent.

Why can't at least food and feed suppliers regulate themselves to provide safe product. I am not a fan of big government, but maybe that is what has to happen to protect lives (human and animal).

This was posted on itchmo.com on Fri. It's a really good site to stay up-to-date on things dog related particularly the food contamination issue. They will know and publish stuff long before it ever reaches mainstream news which usually waits for info from the FDA before saying anything. You can also sign up for itchmo alerts if you want to be notified as soon as they hear something.

http://www.itchmo.com/wal-mart-remov...dog-death-2321

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Beginning to think we have to move to a hobby farm. Need to raise vegetables, fruit, a couple cattle, and a flock of chickens. Need more acreage to raise corn and hay to see the livestock to feed Hershey. Some kind of manure processor to fertilize the plants. Starting to think about an isolated self sufficient society. No I need horses for plowing the ground since I have to be energy independent.

Why can't at least food and feed suppliers regulate themselves to provide safe product. I am not a fan of big government, but maybe that is what has to happen to protect lives (human and animal).
    I like your thinking! I think I'd be very happy with that lifestyle.

Wal*Mart: 8th largest importer of chinese goods in the world.

China: Has some of the worst human rights ,environmental and worker saftey policies in the world. They also manipulate their currency for trade advantage.

No need for government intervention. You can choose not to support Wal*Mart or China

The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.