Quick Help!!

Thread: Quick Help!!

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuick Help!!

How do you get hydrogen peroxide down your dog? How long should it take to work? And How much can I give a 58 lb. dog?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Quick Help!!

I had to do this once not to long ago. I started giving a tablespoon or so every min. I actually took some soft food and mixed the hydorgen perioxide in to trick her...she just lapped it up. it doesn't take long at all to react....maybe a min or so and she lost her cookies. Poor girl.

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

http://www.nmanimalcontrol.com/train...ison_list.html

------
    http://www.internetvets.com/articles...g_vomiting.htm

Hydrogen Peroxide
    Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian
    -------

I have used a measuring spoon, and in desparation just poured it down Jack's throat. We have since gotten a turkey baster bulb. We dosed every 5 minutes until he could not hold it back. He lasted about an hour before he threw up, but he was really trying to hold it down.

HTH

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Abbey2007 is offline Senior Member

Hope this reaches you in time. 2 Tablespoons with a turkey baster, hypodermic syringe, etc. every 10 to 15 minutes. Continue until the dog vomits. If you need to induce more vomiting you can repeat. Accoding to my vet the peroxide will not hurt them so you can repeat the process several times.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Okay, next question--how do I clean hurk out of white carpet? (JK--hydrogen peroxide took care of that too!!)

Thanks!! It worked. Whew!
    Thanks to Labby too--your website was very helpful--I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off!! I didn't want to leave Teddy, but wanted to find the answer quickly!!

I guess I should tell you all the story. I am a very bad dog mom. :-[ I was on the computer when I noticed Teddy wasn't with me. Went looking for him and found the evidence on the floor in the family room. He had counter surfed (first time!) and stolen a carton of cigarettes off the counter--bypassed the bag of dog treats to get to them. They were all over the floor in various stages of decapitation and shred. I know that nicotine is poisonous to dogs--I don't think he swallowed much, but knowing him he swallowed some. Since three packs were shredded, I did a quick google search to see how much he would have to ingest to be dangerous. I decided not to take any chances and induce vomiting--it could have only been 10-15 minutes since he had chewed them up. However he and I disagreed on whether he would swallow the peroxide!! I think I was spilling as much as went down.

He has now hurked to my satisfaction, and hopefully the rest of the night will be peaceful!!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006