I have found a substitute for hot dogs!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have found a substitute for hot dogs!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultI have found a substitute for hot dogs!!!

DUH! I feel REALLY STUPID for not thinking of this before. :-[

OK, the back story is, since Angus' cancer diagnosis, even though they got it all, I have gotten a little paranoid about what exactly is going in his body. And possibly one of the worst offenders is his beloved hot dogs. Nitrites.

They have been our training treat staple for oh, a couple of years now. Rarely a day has gone by when he hasn't gotten his dose of hot dogs. This would be fine, as I know many trainers who use them throughout their dogs' lives, but again, I'm just trying to cut out anything potentially harmful.

So. I can switch foods, get rid of carbs and all the other jazz that has gone along with this lifestyle change, but how to get rid of hot dogs? ???

The answer: Lunch Meat! ;D DOH! Stupid! Why wasn't I doing this all along?

SO easy. Much easier than hot dogs. Buy about a pound or pound and a half of whatever is on sale (chicken, turkey, ham). Have them slice it about 1/8" thick. Cube the slices. Cook as you would the hot dogs.

EASY! AND NO NITRITES! ;D

I am very pleased with this solution, can you tell? Really, though, I can't believe this was so hard to come up with for me. I only have lunch meat in the house ALL THE TIME. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I have found a substitute for hot dogs!!!

Connie, that's a great idea!!!

I was thinking about soy dogs the other day...

Good thinking...see your working through this

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Connie, you can find hot dogs with no nitrates, too. Around here the best brand is Niman Ranch, but if you have a Wild Oats or Whole Foods near you I'm sure you can find them.

Other things that work really well for us: Pepper Jack cheese. Theo goes crazy for it. Also the rinds of raw-milk cheeses, which we get at the cheese shop (talk about stinky!). And of course homemade liver-sardine brownies.

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

And of course homemade liver-sardine brownies
    Please share the recipe. I'd love to take them to a few dinner parties.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

How do you cook it, Connie?

I find lunch meat goes bad so fast around here... :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Connie -- most of the commercial lunch meats also have nitrites -- I know Whole Foods carries lunchmeat without nitrites, as well as hotdogs!! I sometimes use string cheese and slice it up -- that is a good treat, but you cannot use too much as it might be hard on their intestinal flora ;D Good luck!

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

FWIW, I use chicken breasts for show bait with Charlie. Anything less and he totally ignores me. :P The easiest way to prepare is to sprinkle boneless, skinless breasts liberally with garlic powder and microwave for 7-10 minutes. Another easy alternative is to buy a chicken breast at the nearest fried chicken place and peal the breast meat out of the center. The good thing about that is that you get a tasty snack too. ;D

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

What?!? Lunch meat has nitrites too!?!? NOOOOO! I'm talking about deli meat, sliced at the counter, not pre-packaged. Still has nitrites?

Lunch meat doesn't last long around here. I take my lunch every day. Turkey and ham with swiss on white bread, every day. How boring am I? I cooked the lunch meat for about an hour on low, sprinkled with a little garlic. Or you could do it for half an hour at 375 or 350. Depends on how done you like them. I like them to be pretty done/crispy.

OMG, the one time I used leftover chicken with Angus... Let's just say he got a little too jazzed. ;D Seriously, he was like a steam-roller. He could not calm down long enough to concentrate to do anything! It was hilarious, really. The instructor was going, "Wow, I've never seen him quite like this..." He wouldn't stay for the recall, but kept jumping the gun and running me down. I finally figured out...uh oh! It's the chicken!

Nathan, I have looked at everything at Wild Oats, and it all has nitrites too. I don't think we have a Whole Foods yet, but we might be getting one. Never heard of Niman Ranch?

Thanks Eric, I have really been trying. Hard! I feel like slowly I'm getting a handle on things.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Connie, have you tried freeze dried liver or freeze dried salmon (for dogs). This is what our trainer uses, and now what I use when I try to teach Zoe a new trick.

It's a bit pricey, but at least it'll keep your hands clean and you don't need to chew it on your own in sticky situations.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast