soft sided crate question.....

Thread: soft sided crate question.....

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Defaultsoft sided crate question.....

i'm going to get ginger a soft sided crate for in case we have to evacuate for any hurricanes. i'd rather not travel around with her 48" wire crate (it folds up). so i'm wondering what size to get? she weighs about 65 pounds and i'm not exactly sure how tall she is.

i'm thinking about a 36l x 24w x 27h? she won't be in it a lot but i would like to have something that is somewhat small to pack for in case we have to use it.

what size do you use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: soft sided crate question.....

My soft crates are all 36" deep.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That is the size of mine. I use them a lot at dog shows and they are quite comfy for my dogs. Ruger is just shy of 23" at his shoulder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have a 36" travel/show crate for Henry too. It fits him just fine, he just has to duck his head a bit if he's sitting up but he can lay down and stretch out quite comfortably.

How tall is she? How does she sleep in the crate?

Murray is 24" tall and he likes to lay all stretched out so he has a 42Lx28Wx31H crate. I bought the same size crate for Essy and she swims in it. She's only 20" tall and likes to curl up in a tight little ball in the corner.

I then bought the next size smaller (36Lx24Wx27H) for Essy and she still swims in it. : She still curls up in the corner and has tons of space left over. I have put Murray in this smaller crate on occasion and he's fine it it but I wouldn't want to keep him in for extended periods of time. I wouldn't get anything smaller for him but I think Essy would still fit comfortably in the next size smaller crate (30Lx21Wx23H) and that's probably what I'll buy the next time I need to buy one.

I think you'll be fine with the 36Lx24Wx27H and if your girl is shorter than 21", she will probably even fit in the 30Lx21Wx23H crate but it depends on her sleeping style.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    How tall is she? How does she sleep in the crate?

Murray is 24" tall and he likes to lay all stretched out so he has a 42Lx28Wx31H crate. I bought the same size crate for Essy and she swims in it. She's only 20" tall and likes to curl up in a tight little ball in the corner.

I then bought the next size smaller (36Lx24Wx27H) for Essy and she still swims in it. : She still curls up in the corner and has tons of space left over. I have put Murray in this smaller crate on occasion and he's fine it it but I wouldn't want to keep him in for extended periods of time. I wouldn't get anything smaller for him but I think Essy would still fit comfortably in the next size smaller crate (30Lx21Wx23H) and that's probably what I'll buy the next time I need to buy one.

I think you'll be fine with the 36Lx24Wx27H and if your girl is shorter than 21", she will probably even fit in the 30Lx21Wx23H crate but it depends on her sleeping style.
    well i just tried measuring her and she seems to be about 21". she likes to sleep stretched out on the floor but when in her crate she sleeps curled up. she also sleeps curled up in the bed and on the sofa.

thanks for the replies!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We have Pet 'N Go's blue crate (that color measures 36 by 24 by 27 inches) and it's amply big for Puff (62 lbs. and leggy). Available at Amazon for $99 + S&H & tax.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have the 48 and 42 inch ones. I figure it's worth the 10 extra dollars to get a little more room for the dogs and the size/weight is negligible.