Results of my denim "bedspread saver"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of my denim "bedspread saver"

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultResults of my denim "bedspread saver"

I have several store bought quilts/comforters/duvets which I use on my bed; they were bought at various places -- Macys, Kohls, JCPenneys. None of the fabric on any of their tops is stout and although I've never seen Puff scratch and paw at their surfaces (as she might in leaves or grasses), yet her sleeping on it beside me always eventually results in splits and tears to the top surface of the comforter. So I have it repaired and retire that one and go buy another.

I recently took another comforter to Keiwa, my favorite seamstress, for repairs. She did a great job of piecing in new material -- I couldn't tell new from old. But I decided, enough, already!! I need a coverlet or bedspread to protect my comforters.

So I went to a fabric store, found some extra-heavy blue denim ($10/yard, 56" wide) and got enough for Keiwa to cut in 2 and sew two 56" wide pieces together.

Works almost like a charm.

But I wish I'd gotten a lighter grade of denim.

This is far too heavy for me to take outside and shake -- it's too much like a heavy canvas tarpaulin.

Mistake one.

Also, when I put it in my dryer (no heat, air fluff) to remove dog hair, it's so heavy it tends to ball up and preclude the air from reaching all parts. So I run the dryer, remove the spread, spread it out, put it back in with new sections exposed.

Mistake two.

But it does protect the comforter underneath from picking up dog smell.

Success one. ;D

And it protects it from getting covered with dog hair.

Success two. ;D

And several trips through the dryer (no heat, air fluff) does result in scads of dog hair captured in the lint trap.

Success three. ;D

And I think it'll prevent the comforter's top surface from splitting and needing repairs like the others have done.

Success four. ;D

Next time, I may try taking it to a laundromat and paying to use one of their huge dryers with much bigger drums -- that would let my denim bedspread fluff out far more than it can in the smaller drum in my home dryer.

On balance, it's more success than mistake. ;D

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Results of my denim "bedspread saver"

My best bed cover EVER (for durability) was a poly-fill comforter with a heavy duty denim shell. But heavy? Oh my gosh that thing weighed a TON! I had to take it to a laundromat to launder it. I retired it after about one year only because laundering was such a hassle. I folded it up in fourths and let Paddy have it for a dog bed.

Sounds you've hit the right medium.

Seamus and Flynn

I brought a couple of THESE from my Costco, one for the couch and one for the top of the bed. In store, they are about $16-17 each. They work great, wash great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I need one of those Costco things for my couch. I've been through so many blankets it's ridiculous. Just yesterday I had to bring out an old disgusting one just to have something.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    I brought a couple of THESE from my Costco, one for the couch and one for the top of the bed. In store, they are about $16-17 each. They work great, wash great.
    Me too... we have several

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

If you check out the picture below, if I remember to include it, it is just two large pieces of fleece fabric (different designs) you can get at any fabric shop. Used for making blankets and whatever. The stuff is cheap and near indestructable. You don't have to get puppy covered desings, they carry a wide variety of pattterns/colors/.

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Kiddsmom, I see they're "...Machine washable, Dimensions: 54" x 64"

My denim bedspread is about 112" L x 90"W

Next time I go to Costco, I'll look. I could use it as a "throw rug" on top of the denim and it'd be easier and quicker to wash or air-fluff2remove-fur.

An advantage of my denim is that it tucks under the matress and always stays in place.

But the Costco pet throw might work well as a throw rug on top. Thanks!!

Are they available in local Coctco stores or only online?

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Are they available in local Coctco stores or only online?
    I got mine in the store a few months ago, but right now they don't have them. I would assume they will get them in eventually, like a lot of their other products. I've seen them off and on in the store over the years.

Thanks, I also called the warehouse in Lenexa and they said they were out. So I ordered one online -- $25 + tax, no shipping charges. They only have the slate color.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'll tell you what. I went through three bedspreads before a bulb went off in my brain. We bought the largest king sized flat sheet and put one on our bed and one on the spare bed in my computer room. I wash them weekly, and it keeps the quilts and bedspreads nice and hairless. ;D Plus because they are lightweight they are easy to take outside to shake should the need arise. Of course they aren't near as pretty as the quilts but, no one ever sees them anyway and if someone comes over, they are easy to whip off. TA DA!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast