I Think I might of answered my own question.

Thread: I Think I might of answered my own question.

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultI Think I might of answered my own question.

I was going to post earlier, on when to allow Pitch to have more House Space. Right now he is confined to our family room, which is Pitch Proof, and no signs of toys that belong to our 18mos and 3 1/2 yr old. If a toy gets out here, it is fair game at times...but that is rare. So now that he is outgrowing his living quarters, I wanted to know when he could start having free reign of our home. He is starting to whine when he needs to use the little boys room, so showing some signs of growing up. He is just shy of 7mos of age.

Well after a week of threats of throwing toys from the toy room out, I decided today would be the day I clean it out. They toy room is our living room and dining room. Pitch has the Family room, and in the middle of these Three rooms is a kitchen, Hall and 1/2 bathroom, Like a race track usually with bikes or running in circle with 2 toddlers. So Here I am, kids in bed, husband out of town trying to clean the toy room, so to possibly allow Pitch some more area. I decide to not crate him and bring him out to where I was cleaning. I usually crate as to not allow temptation of anything he decides belongs to him when we aren't around. So I bring him out, make him lay down. He starts crawling over to the toys on the floor, and attempts to eat them. I redirect him back to where I lay him. I leave for a moment to use the facilities, and I hear him running the race track. He finds a shoe, and wants to be chased. Not giving in, I give a stern "NO!" He gives up, and drops the shoe. Then he finds a toddler toy, and starts running laps again. This time he isn't giving up. I felt like an idiot hiding behind walls to try to catch him. Of course he finds this funny. After catching him, I decide, I answered my own question, he can't be left out of his Padded Room.

-Shannon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I Think I might of answered my own question.

Hee hee! All's fair in the name of FUN!!!!

Besides, the kids need to learn "sharing", right? He was really just doing you a favor...... that's how I see it anyways...
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

;D Sorry....your story made me chuckle. I could just picture it in my mind.

Okay...being serious. All labs are different, our first lab could be trusted to have run of the house at 7 months, she was not a chewer nor a destroyer. She never touched a thing that wasn't hers.

Molly was around 15 months when she was allowed free run. She loves to chew & TV remotes were a favorite. Abby just got free run at 15 1/2 months. She loved to chew the throw rug in the kitchen, shoes, my family toom carpet.

We started leaving them out for small increments of time & if they proved trust worthy, the time was lenghthened. Abby had to be back being crated two times before being
    trust worthy. Now they stay out while we are at work. I crated them for their safety more then the things the could chew, I always worried about choking or an onstruction.

Good luck. Pitch will mature & we be better about chewing & eating things that aren't his.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

all our dogs have had to learn whos toys are whos. Kaden is 3 and the toys end up all over the house.. In my room in the living room in the kitchen outside.. Its a lot to deal with but we decided to just try "leave it" wen every they went for one of the toys. It has worked very well.
    If you want him to be able to be out of his padded cell I would take him out and have some fun and get him a little tired. Then I would have most of the toys picked up and then try leave it.
    The only trouble we have now is Kaden wants the dogs toys.. They seem to be more fun :

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, it varies Angus had a padded room for a vewy, vewy long time. And he still stays in the crate when we're not home.

It's not so much anymore that I don't trust him, but just because well, he seems to like it in there. ??? He insists on sleeping in it, for sure. He was miserable when he had to sleep in the kitchen while he had the cone on after surgery.

You will know when the time is right.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

momofalab is offline Senior Member

I think Pitch will be in his Padded Cell for an eternity....Yet if it keeps him safe, he will have to deal with it.