Personal Product Review

Thread: Personal Product Review

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultPersonal Product Review

Costco: Twist Wraps

Description: Pig skin rolled into 'stick about .5-.75 inches in diameter and 6-7 inches long.
    Outside is wrapped with chicken or pork meat.

I stopped giving Hershey Kisses or any other dog rawhide based on the warnings of intestinal blockage. I never observed the potential for a problem myself. I have watched Hershey eat them and she never seems to attempt to swallow a large chunk, even at the end.

I gave one of these to HK and one to Newman today.

HK gnawed on the end as she usually eats stick shaped things and tried to scrape some of the meat off the outer surface occasionally.

Newman goes after this thing much more aggressively, often taking the whole thing in his mouth and crushing the whole length of it. The whole thing was getting soft and swollen at once. I kept an eye on him.

All of a sudden I thought I detected him trying to swallow the whole thing and having difficulty, Thank goodness. I got to him, pried open his jaws and had my finger what I thought was half way down his throat and pulled the whole thing out. He will not get one of those again.

I check on Hershey and she is gagging. Same routine. Same result. I have a bag of these things if anyone is interested.

How can they sell these things for animals? Or is pig skin fully digestable unlike cow hide. I can't see why one wold be digestable, and the other not. The pig skin is thinner, but I am not going to experiment again.

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Personal Product Review

I dunno...can't be of much help but I tend to shy away from all those chew products except bully sticks and bone with marrow. Tal has not had a bone since we moved...I keep forgetting to ask the butcher at the store! I get his bully sticks online.

I have never seen the pigs ears rolled like that as far as I know. I've seen the flat ones and I dunno somehow I just never experimented with those. This is good to know. Glad the furkids are no worse for the wear too!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

These were not made with Pigs ears. It is pig hide. Appears to be a rectangle that is just rolled up, and then wrapped with chicken or pork.

There was no doubt that the two dogs liked them, what don't they like. But I don't like the risk based on today's experience
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BASEBALL18 Guest

Hi, we had the same result here... I just threw them all out (or so I thought). Then today my daughter, who's home from school, found one in the barn (obviously I missed one) and gave it to the dogs. The lab seems to think he should get it all in his mouth at once. I promptly took it away from him as he was already gagging on it in just a short amount of time.
    Now I am sure they are all gone!
    I have found that the boys like those Nutro sticks so we give those for a special treat instead.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    These were not made with Pigs ears. It is pig hide. Appears to be a rectangle that is just rolled up, and then wrapped with chicken or pork.

There was no doubt that the two dogs liked them, what don't they like. But I don't like the risk based on today's experience
    Ah, ok. I'm with ya on the risk thing. Just not worth it.