Hardwood floors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood floors

DefaultHardwood floors

I was wondering if your hardwood floors get damaged from the dogs?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hardwood floors

Yep...but I've owned 7 dogs and had up to 10 on them at once with fosters. They are also 12+ years old.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

I have a natural red oak hardwood floor throughout most of my house -- yes, it does get a bit "distressed" from Haylee, but it still looks really good after almost 9 yrs. Now, she's not real active, but she does have her moments when she runs around like a crazy girl. I would not trade my floors for anything; and, they can always be re-done. I will do that in another couple of years -- a buff and coat!
    It also makes cleaning up the dog hair a breeze.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yup. But we only have it in the family room, which is pretty small. It's a "no play" zone for Cooper and he seems to know that. I don't really care that they got a bit scratched when we first moved in here because in all honesty, they need refinishing. If you lift up the rug, you can see that the floor beneath is quite faded. Which is likely why the previous owners "graciously" left the rug behind! We will get them done before we list this place for sale on the next move. We have laminate in the basement and his nails don't leave marks in them - nothing noticeable so far....

Bev.

c17wife is offline Senior Member

Right now we have hardwoods just in our entryway. The kids throw the dogs' ropes for them to chase into the entryway. So it is getting rather distressed. We've only been here almost 3 years and the house and hardwoods were brand new when we got it. I'm definitely switching to laminates once I win the lottery and can afford a new flooring solution.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

They are a mess. There are deep grooves where Cory has thrown ropes to the dogs and I have been told will be almost impossible to fix.

I have more mats with Ernie joint issues as I don't want him slipping and twisting.

Sun also fades them and more so under mats. This is easy to fix.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I have laminate in the lounge room and flagstones in the kitchen/dining room.
    The laminate has been down for about 6 yrs and is as good as new- the only downside is if the boys are a little excitable, say heading out to the car they tend to slip and slide on it a little.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

We had bamboo put down in our family room area - it didn't stand up to two labs well at all. Lots of scratches and damage. There was an unrelated problem with the installation and they had to be replaced. We went with a high end laminate and it's doing well. No damage at all! My two run in there like mad, tuck butt, and wrestle without any sign, well - except for hair but that's a breeze to clean up too.

We do pretty well with our Hardwoods. They are original to the house so about 50 years old. Had them refinished when we moved here 6 years ago. Dogs love to stay cool on them. I guess I am lucky, my dogs really are very mellow in the house. We don't do a lot of rough play in the house. Also have lots of area rugs. Floors have held up fairly well. Clean with spray Orange Glo product weekly and Cleaner/Polish once a month. It is all done with a damp cloth mop they sell, very easy. Love to be able to sweep, vacuum and mop ....simple!

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

The dogs have their playing area, which is on the rug in the kitchen. They haven't had much effect on the rest of the floor, but it was already fairly scratched up when we moved in. I've noticed new scratches from where people have pulled dining chairs out from the table, but haven't noticed anything much come of the dogs running around on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast