sudden occurance of skin tags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sudden occurance of skin tags

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Defaultsudden occurance of skin tags

Lucy has had 3 skin tags show up on her snout in the last month or so. One was getting quite big but it got knocked off while playing with Cricket. Now it seems to just be a scab.

I looked up skin tags on dogs and it seems they are nothing to be worried about. I am just wondering why all of a sudden they are appearing.
    Anyone know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sudden occurance of skin tags

Not that I have a real answer but I've had a few skin tags show up on me since I've gotten older, so maybe it's age? Fortunately mine have not been on my snout.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

labby is offline Senior Member

I usually see it as the dog ages.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is Lucy?

Skin tags around (or in) the mouth are a form of canine oral warts. Giffin & Carlson, in "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook"** say that they usually occur in dogs younger than 2 years and that, as the immune system matures, they usually disappear in a month or two. That was true when Puff had them. If they don't disappear after a few months they can be removed surgically.

** about $25 USD + S&H from Amazon. Every dog should come with one, every dog owner needs one to refer to -- it saves trips to the vet when not needed, avoids delays in getting vet care when needed, helps you check the adequacy of your vet's care, and saves many times the cost of the book over the life of your dog.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Molly, not to scare you or be an alarmist or anything, but you might want to get them checked out.

I've been reading a lot about mast cell tumors recently, and they call them "the great imposters" because they can look like absolutely anything. I saw a pic somewhere of one that looked just like a skin tag. Other times they can look like a wart, or a pimple, or a lipoma. Angus' looked like a lipoma.

Anyway, again, it's probably nothing, but I have become a big believer in getting every growth checked out, to be on the safe side. olice:

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy will be 5 in January.

They look like plain old skin tags...but I will keep an eye on them. Just weird that all of a sudden she has 3.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Paddy gets this single one on his right upper eyelid. The first time it appeared he was, oh, about 7 or 8 years old (he'll be 11 in October). I had that one removed. The tag reappears once a year or so, stays really tiny and then one day I'll notice it's just... gone.

I wouldn't mess with tags around the eyelids unless they are actually touching the eye causing irritation.

Seamus and Flynn

Puebla is offline Senior Member

Puebla has had one on the rim of her eye for the past year and a half. I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger.

Henery's got one on his right lower eyelid... it just kinda sticks out, like a tiny piece of mouse poo. I will have to remember to ask his vet about it when we're in for his wellness check. He's had it since last Oct.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Since Lucy is 5, they're probably not the warts G&C wrote about.

At that age, I'd follow Connie's/AF's advice and get them checked out.

Puff had one on her eyelid that was just a small bump for many months but then started growing to be the size of a grain of rice attached at its end. I had it surgically removed at K-State's Vet Teaching Hospital this last spring.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast