Lab fur question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab fur question

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultLab fur question

HK is 7 months old. If I were to describe her coat, other than beng smooth, soft, shiny, and beatiful, I would call it short haired. To date there is no significant indication of an undercoat. If I look at Newman's (6 year old) I guess I might als call it short haired, but the hair length is easily twice as long as HKs. Looking at pictures of Wigwag's (Sharon's) Black Lab siggy (Beautiful dog), the hair seem to be significantly longer and with a wave or curl to it.

I know some labs have more curl than others, but anticpated a common length. I also know that the density and blowing of undercoat varies considerably between labs.

So the questions are:
    Does the fully grown hair (pre-shed) tend to get longer as the dogs get older?
    When does the coat switches over from puppy coat to adult coat if there is such a thing?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab fur question

They do have a puppy coat which they grow out of but I honestly can't remember quite when that happens. I think by 7 months both of mine had their adult coats. After that stage, I haven't noticed any change in the coat. Kira is 4 years old, Finley is almost 2. Kira's outer hair is about half the length of Finley's and much softer. Finley's is longer and coarser. They both shed about the same amount, I think. Hard to say since they are both yellow.

labby is offline Senior Member

Your dog might not get an undercoat. Coat is genetic but does also get play from nutrition. If your dog's parents didn't have a proper Lab coat then chances are your dog won't either. Its rare for a field bred dog to have a proper Lab coat. I haven't seen many. The ones I see around here have a single coat similar to what a Doberman has.

My dogs usually blow puppy coat at about 6-8 months of age.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy lacks a proper double coat. Never had it, never will.

I didn't know that all Labs don't have an undercoat. That's not bad news in my mind. I am guessing that it might result in lesser shedding, and there is no intent to breed or show HK so the standard is not that important to us. She will still be our wonderful household pet. Too bad her bddy Newman has more than is allocation of undercoat. He seems to be constantly in replacement mode.

Thanks for the information. Will have to be paying attention over the next few months. HK is 7 months old. I am assuming that these dogs that don't have an undercoat can wtill handle winter in MN. I don't hunt, so she is not likely to be headed for severely cold water as winter approaches. Besides, the cold weather keeps me inside more often as wnter approaches, butthe same temps in the spring bring me out early.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Don't kid yourself that non-undercoated dogs don't shed as much as ones with an undercoat. My Dalmatian shed way worse than my labs.

Laura

Burst my bubble again, she did! Didn't even give me a few weeks of hope!

Well I could delete my post and you can pretend.

Laura

That got me to laugh out loud at myself.

I suspect there are others that prefer to have the knowledge and don't want to live a fantasy, even for a few weeks.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Bess (bench) had a much thicker coat -- both top and under -- than my Puff (field) has.

Bess's coat was probably at least 4X as thick as Puff's and she shed at least 4X-6X as much fur.

But Puff does have a true (but thinner) undercoat.

The hairs of the top coat are quite stiff -- almost like small needles -- and longer (often as much as 2"/5 cm); typically they're either fairly straight or with a cuve like a ")".

The hairs of the undercoat are quite fine, maybe half, a quarter, or even less the diameter of the top coat hairs, almost like a spider's filament. They're much shorter, usually 1 inch/25 mm or less, and typically with a crinkly center somewhat like the old hairpin: ---/\/\/\/\/---

I remember that often even 6 months after Bess died, I'd find a small crinkly undercoat hair floating through the air at home; it seemed like she was saying "Remember me, I'm with you still" Puff has the same type hairs in her undercoat but not as fiercely crinkled as Bess's and not anywhere as thick.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast