On the couch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the couch

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultOn the couch

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than a lead to keep Harlee of the couch? I have tried it and it is not working. I try a million times of saying off, if she does do it I praise her then she gets right back up again. If she ignores the off then I place her feet back on the ground and tell her good girl, she gets right back up again.

Anyone have any ideas because I really don't want her on the couch!

She is 4 mths today Oh an btw she lost her first tooth today

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: On the couch

Sorry, no advice. I guess I would just be persistant about not letting her come up.

I am not a good one to say anything. I said mine would not be on the couch.....well not only are they on the couch & loveseat....they hog our bed too. :

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions other than a lead to keep Harlee of the couch? I have tried it and it is not working. I try a million times of saying off, if she does do it I praise her then she gets right back up again. If she ignores the off then I place her feet back on the ground and tell her good girl, she gets right back up again.
    Keep doing that. Say "Off" and make her get off, if she doesn't do it on her own. If she gets back up, rinse and repeat!!

You have to be more persistent than she is if you want her to stop doing something she wants to do. That's damn hard sometimes, but it's the only way..!

Good luck!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

The only thing to add to persistence. Never! Not even, 'Okay! Just this one time.' Not for a second. When you see the move being made to get on it, kill it immediately. Don't let the dog get on it, if you are too slow, don't give the dog time to settle in a sit or down position. Do you have a crate you can put the dog in every time it makes the try. IS EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE ON THE SAME PAGE. EVERYONE? If you have someone that is going to let the dog get away with it, I think you will never win the battle.

PS: HK is allowed on the family room couch, but not the recliner. Never was allowed on the recliner. This has worked through 7 months. HK is not allowed on anything in the living or dining room. She is not allowed in those two rooms period. This was not so successful. She thought it was a game getting chased out of them. I do not lose these battles. At 4 months of age, she conceded the battle to me. Well. that isn't exactly truthful. At 4 months of age I put up the gates blocking entrance to those rooms. 80 inch decent appearance pressre mount with swing gate opening is not cheap. BUT I WON!!!!!! Duh! I like to tell myself I won, but I know better.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

I don't know if this was correct, but this is what we successfully did when Payton was a puppy. We spent 95% of our time sitting in the floor : Then she felt like she was part of the action. We played ball on the floor in the house, lounged on her big floor pillow, etc. We laughed because we used the couch to keep the shoes and other contraband out of reach. :P Now she never even wants to get on the couch and we are using it! Puppies just want to be part of the action, and if the action belongs on the floor, so be it.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

You know, actually, that's what we did too wiscpayton, with both the boys. I never even thought about it till you said that.

Simon will sometimes try putting his front feet on the couch (when I am on it and he wants to be in my lap), but I generally cave and get on the floor with him when he does this.

So...the secret to keeping dogs off the couch seems to be, get on the floor!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I let Kass up by invitation only. She had to sit on her blanket. Any other time she was told off and pushed down. She got used to it.

Ernie is another story. I can't sit on the floor with him as he is too dominant. No one is allowed on the floor when he is in the room.

His bed is beside the couch so he is happy to sleep there. I let him and Sam up with me by invitation only. Usually about 8pm while we watch T.V. They are happy with this and sometimes don't want to.

This pic is the dogs room and covers are removed,so we are more lenient. But I still don't want him on the couch unless I say, so I use bars from an old cot. I hate it, but can't watch him all day as this is where he sleeps and goes out to the toilet.

The other lounge the dogs aren't allowed in at all and weird thing is there are no gates.The dogs don't go in there.

Here is the room. Bad pic. it is late. Note dog bed right of pic.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

Persistance. Also, it sounds like "possibly" she may think she's being rewarded for this, since you are saying "good girl" when she stays down. She may have associated the getting up ON the couch, with the "good girl" somehow.....

Melissa
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions but getting on the floor with her right now isin't an option because she is still biting like mad! It is getting better and she lost all the top teeth and bottom teeth (in the front) so hopefully that is a sign that she is going to stop biting soon! I swear i am telling her off and placing her feet on the floor a hundred times a day( not to mention every time I am placing her on the floor 96% of the time I am getting bit) : and as soon as she is down she put her front paws right back up again.

Anyone else having anything new I could try????? Its driving me nuts!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

to recap the above

1 - get on the floor
    2 - NEVER let her on (keep correcting every single time)
    3 - put items on the couch to prevent her from getting on (see pic above)
    4 - don't let her in the room or crate her

I honestly cannot imagine any other alternative. Expect maybe the can monster (for counter surfers)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast