This was in our paper tonight,

Thread: This was in our paper tonight,

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis was in our paper tonight,

I'd like to bite the parents. Once again, the dog is the loser. This guy was a moron, the pic that was included in our newpaper didn't look like a GSD, maybe a corgi/mix. The legs were too short for a GSD. I am so disgusted with people. I'll bet that 8 year old wasn't quite so innocent. Sorry if I offend anyone but when my daughter was 3 her and her friend were outside in our yard and both were bitten by a dobie. My daughter was standing behind me looking at the dog when it lunged at the neighbor girl knocking her down and put a knot on her head the size of a ping pong ball plus two puntures under her eye and tried to bite my daughter in the process The bite went over half way through her glass lens. Thank God she wore glasses at the time, it saved her eyesight. The people paid for new lenses and the dog was kept in quarentine in their yard for 14 days. That was all that was done. The dog was known to be aggressive because the family kids and their friends always teased it. Putting it down wasn't even an option at the time. Now it seems like that is the first thing they do. :'( I just know how kids can be. Maybe the dog was aggressive, I don't know it just seems like it happened way too fast. Nothing was done to modify the dogs behavior. humans 1 Dog 0....again.

Newly-purchased dog bites boy

By Steve Linsenmayer
    of The News-Sentinel
    An 8-year-old boy was bitten in the neck by a recently purchased family pet Friday morning.

Fort Wayne Animal Care & Control was dispatched along with Fort Wayne Police and TRAA ambulance at 10:47 a.m. to the 2200 block of Hazelwood Avenue. The boy suffered a puncture wound to the neck.

According to Belinda Lewis, director of Animal Care & Control, the male German shepherd, “Badger,” was in the house, lying on the floor in front of a couch. The boy was on the couch and reached down to pet the animal, when the dog reached up and bit the child on the neck.

Lewis estimated the dog’s age at 3 to 4 years old. It had not been neutered.

Neighborhood children gathered outside as the boy’s father, Shane Vachon, led the dog to a waiting Animal Care & Control van. After it was secured in the van, Vachon told an Animal Care & Control officer the family had bought the pet through a local classified ad.

“We won’t be getting any more pets,” he said. “That was enough to scare me.”

Vachon relinquished the dog to the city, and by early afternoon it was euthanized, Lewis said. It will be tested for rabies as a standard precaution. No charges were filed in connection with the incident.

An estimated 4.7 million people in the United States are bitten by dogs each year.

Children are the most common victims of severe dog bites, according to the Humane Society of the United States. Earlier this week three people were injured by a loose pit bull in the area of Adams and Evans streets.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This was in our paper tonight,

ah yes... that nasty kid, expecting to be able to pet his new dog. :P

Blaming the victim does no good at all... if anyone is responsible, its the original owners, and I bet dollars to donuts that dog had been aggressive towards them as well.

Sad. Really how did they know the dog was child proof if they just purchased it. I have never let a new dog (my own or a foster) have full run of the home until I know they are kid proof. There is too many what-ifs. I never feel like I know a dog until I have had it 3-6 months and proofed the dog in many situations. It really surprises me how many people adopt a dog from the shelter and throw it in with their kids that very same day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

Very sad. :'(

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Well who knows what the dog's history was. First mistake was purchasing it through a classified ad. Not saying all animals advertised in the classifieds are bad, but the odds are certainly not in your favor. I bet with the right owner, that dog could have had a great life. So sad.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

That's just a good example of not thinking a decision through. That poor dog didn't have a chance and I agree, it probably had a history of biting and that's why it was sold. But to buy a dog from an unknown, at that age, and expect it to blend into a family situation without any precautions is just plain stupid, everyone looses especially the dog in this case. It just breaks my heart that people feel that animals are so disposable. :'( It never ceases to amaze me how humans who are supposed to be the smarter animal prove time and again they are not always the brightest bulb in the pack. :

Skubaa Guest

I wonder if the family had no choice to put the dog down. It is just odd that the articles says no charges will be filed. Do they sometimes no charge the parents if they agree to put down the dog? Especially with the way the dog was led out. So sad.

I can tell you I was bit in the face as an 8th grader and it was totally my fault. Took out a big chunk of cheek. 4 hours and a good plastic surgeon and you can't even tell today. Luckily, they didn't put the dog down. Yes, it had snipped at the owner's children when they played too rough. But, it was so my fault---stupid me trying to kiss the dog on the nose like I'd known it forever. I was just glad when I ran into again about 5 years later to see it healthy and happy. I even got to pet it.

In our corner of the world, a german shepard bit a 2 yr old neighbor on the head when the 2 yr old tried to take it's bone. Haven't read what will happen to the dog.

DG

DG

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It is amazing how often a dog will pay the price when a kid cases the response. When we had our Golden Retriever, Sandy, at 6 years old, she was playing outside with our kids. They loved to play tag, never sure who was IT, the kids or the dog. One of our girls was chasing Sandy and getting close when Sandy made a trn across. Tripped right on to Sandy, elbow going right into Sandy's belly. Her head came around and bit into our daughter's arm. Four punctures, one from each canine. So the medicial needs get taken care of, and we are back home. Our neighbor comes over to sympathize with us. She seemed like such a nice dog. It is so bad that she has to be put down. When I told her the bite was our duaghters fault and Sandy was not going to be put down, she left in disbelief. An hour later animal control showed up. He was prepared to take the dog. When I explained what happened, he made sure that I was giving him the straight story. He asked to see the dog. I told him my daughter, the one that got bit, would bring her out. Out she came, all but physically attached to our daughter, and constantly licking the bandage. The AC Office was satisfied. No report was filed.

The neighbor never really talked to us again, and I jsut asked my wife. Neither of us can remember her name. But we remember Sandy.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.