Refusing to eat

Thread: Refusing to eat

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRefusing to eat

Brodie, now 12, and never the food-obsessed typical lab, is starting to refuse his dry food every 3-4 months or so. I know he is hungry because if I give him Mira's food he will eat it. I am sure the food is not spoiled and the last batch was the Innova for older dogs so it is good food. He really liked it when he first got it. And he liked the brand before that then refused to eat it.

Any idea why would he be doing this? He never did it in his younger years - just in the past year. He just seems to get tired of the taste. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Skubaa Guest

DefaultRe: Refusing to eat

How long does he go without eating? Is everything else fine? Could it just be old age and the need for less calories with less work?

dg

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What size bag of food do you buy and how do you store it after opening?

I went through something similar with Puff. We get 40 lb. bags of Kirkland and half way through, she lost interest in the food.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I buy the 40 lb bag and most of it stays in the storage bin but some stays in the bag in a dry place.

He has problems with his hind end - muscle weakness and wasting. His evening appetite is so good - maybe he does need less calories but I hate to have him go all day without eating.

At his age, I would do what it takes to encourage eating. Maybe try adding a spoonful of wet food to each meal.

Anne is offline Senior Member

My first thought is to mix a tsp or 2 of canned with his kibble.

Are his teeth ok?

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

From everything you say -- the food is not spoiled, he'll eat Mira's food, etc. -- my strong bet is that while it's not spoiled, it's not as fresh as desirable, either.

I was feeding Puff from 40 lb. bags of Kirkland L&R. About half way through, she lost her appetite. I thought it was for the L&R and got a fresh bag of C&R which she immediately ate -- until it was about half gone.

After much experimenting, I decided it was the food becoming less appetizing -- not spoiled but unappetizing as in a cracker left out for a month or two.

Please try this to check that possibility:

Buy as small as possible a bag of dog food of either Diamond Naturals, Eukanuba, Nutro Natural Choice, or your choice and see if Brodie doesn't like it when it's first opened.

If so, voila!, Q.E.D. Problem solved.

IF that IS the case, my remedy was to immediately transfer the contents of a 40 lb. bag (Kirkland C&R) as soon as it's opened into 10-11 one gallon ZipLock freezer baqs and suck any excess air from each just before sealing. Five go in the freezer, 5-6 stay out. I remove a bag from the freezer a day ahead of the time it's needed so it reaches room temps before opening.

It's worked fine for us for 5 years.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

His teeth seem fine and he ate his dinner which I mixed his dry with Mira's. He wanted to leave his food in the bowl while eating all of Mira's brand of food.
    I just bought a new 40 lb bag and hate for him not to eat it. I will check with the store and see if they will do an exchange if he won't eat. If he eats it, I will try the freezing.
    Thanks!

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Both of your dogs look like really nice gentle old souls. I have a soft spot for senior labs.

tessaduncan is offline Member

My girl did this when she got older. Even though her teeth were fine, I think her jaw was just sore, arthritis (or a type of TMJ) maybe. She, too , had very bad arthritis & a wasting back-end. I also thought maybe a bit of senility. I never really did know... wish she could've told me.
    I found that she absolutely LOVED Eukanuba Senior in the pouches & cans. It was much easier to eat
    but I was afraid to give her too much because I always believed dry kibble was better for her teeth. When she passed away, I was so sorry I didn't just give her the wet food. It would've made her last years so much happier. So why not just give him what he likes?