Bowl Surfin'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl Surfin'

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultBowl Surfin'

Hi,
    It's a known fact that Labby's love their food right?
    My 2 have stainless steel bowls and we have a flagstone floor so every time they have something to eat we all know about it.

I don't mind for the first 5 mins or even 10- not that their food sticks around for that long!- as they clatter around the kitchen, but why do they continue to lick every last scrap off the bowl whilst pushing it noisily along the floor? They then have to swap bowls to inspect each other's making sure there's no trace of anything left, whilst all the time clattering their bowls, it's like the job isn't done right unless we make maximum noise-especially if mom's on the phone!

Is it that Jonah and Jasper are just really greedy or are all Labs like this?

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bowl Surfin'

Boo does it...especially at other peoples houses! : He always inspects his friends bowls for left over scraps. What a bottom feeder.
    Katie and Boo

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Nope Pitch does it too. When the dish is finally believed to be empty, "Hoover", goes and cleans up every crumb off the kitchen floor. He looks like a ball player sliding into home plate, as he dives under the kitchen table.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Normal traits. Even after finishing, switching, and re-licking their own bowls my 2 dimwits will go back and re-lick yet again 5 minutes later (I guess they are thinking *maybe it will magically refill*) :P :

Oh yeah, completely normal. When I put tuna or salmon "juice" from the tin over Cooper's food, he eats every last bit then continues to lick, lick, lick. His bowls are plastic though and are on a rubber mat so I don't hear bowls rattling, just the sound of a dog enjoying every last drop in his bowl!

Bev.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think someone else kind of hinted at this, but i will just outright say it.

The Labs are normal, but the situation is intolerable. I am sorry but if the noise bothers you, you will just have to get rid of them and replace them with another type. I understand that there is a fair market for used flagstone pieces, so replacing them with a less noisy material should not be that expensive. Or were you thinking I meant to replace the Labs?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

LOL.... my dogs do the same thing. I call it "last lickums"

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I think someone else kind of hinted at this, but i will just outright say it.

The Labs are normal, but the situation is intolerable. I am sorry but if the noise bothers you, you will just have to get rid of them and replace them with another type. I understand that there is a fair market for used flagstone pieces, so replacing them with a less noisy material should not be that expensive. Or were you thinking I meant to replace the Labs?
    I'm only kidding, i don't find it intolerable, i'm only too pleased that they have a good and healthy appetite, they can lick and clatter to their hearts content!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

They have to be sure there is not a molecule of food left on the bowl. Mine do the exchange thing too.
    (I love your signiture picture! Their personalities show in their faces.)

I feed the boys on a ceramic tile floor and use this non-skid bowl I bought at PetsMart. It really does stay put even with vigorous licking.
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...owls&N=2023689

After the boys finish their own bowl of food, and lick it spotless, they then switch and re-lick the other's bowl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast