Angus and Simon: Drop on Recall
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angus and Simon: Drop on Recall

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus and Simon: Drop on Recall

We have been doing a little bit of training this week, after a pretty long break while Angus recovered. I finally couldn't stand the long faces anymore, so I busted out some hot dogs (their last pack before going on dehydrated treats) and we worked on a few things.

Oh, the light in their eyes when they were back to their training! I really think they do a lot better after a little break. They miss it SO much, when we start back they both seem so eager!

So, where Simon and I left off was Drop on Recall. For those who don't know, this is where you put them in a sit/stay, ask them to come, then when they are about midway to you you give a hand signal for down. They are, ideally, supposed to "Drop" where they are, not scooting or sliding forward at all. If they have a fold-back down, this is idea. All forward motion should stop when you ask for the drop.

Simon, sweet Simon. He's always had that natural fold-back down, so he is just perfect for this exercise. I wasn't sure, though, if I could get him to understand that he should stop coming to me when I gave the command. Well, lo and behold, he just "got it!" It was so effortless to teach! I didn't have to put up a barrier for him to stop behind or anything! He just starts off at his usual trot, and when he gets the command, bam, fold-back down. I was so excited to have him doing it I was just about beside myself. So now he LOVES this exercise, because Mom goes wild!

I am starting to see Simon being able to do Open. I really think he could, with a little work.

So since Simon was doing so fabulously at the DOR, I decided maybe Angus would like to try too.

Angus, Angus, Angus...

Well, first of all, the idea is that they would go a few steps, or be about halfway to you, and you give the command to drop. They drop, then you repeat the recall command and they come into front.

Couple of problems with Angus:

First of all, since the club is so hot right now I have only our living room to practice in. Our house is only so big. So. I can barely get "Angus, COME" out of my mouth, and he's already there. This dog moves at roughly the speed of light.

So, I start saying, "Angus COMEDOWN!" in an effort to get out the down before he actually gets to me. This sort of works. He starts going into down about halfway to me, but he has so much momentum going already at that point that he ends up sliding the last half of the way on his belly. Like he's sliding into home plate. He's going to get carpet burns.

It's just really, really hilarious, the difference between those two. Simon comes at a delicate trot. Angus comes like a steamroller with no brakes. Simon was doing so beautifully I felt like my heart might burst with pride. Angus was just beyond terrible, but he was so damn entertaining! I would be hard pressed to say which one of them gave me the biggest smile during our practice. ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Angus and Simon: Drop on Recall

Have fun. Ruger comes in fast as well, which can be very difficult at a trial when the judge is slow to give the signal to drop your dog!!! I've had to drop him only a couple feet in front of me.

Have you started teaching the broad jump yet? This one is where I lost most points because Ruger insisted on cutting the corner of the jump. Very difficult to train but we finally got it

Can't wait to hear your escapades in the Open ring.

It's so funny how their personality characreristics come shining through in their training.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

And of your two, I'd LOVE to work with Angus in agility. That enthusiasm just can't be beat... ;D

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i just love angus and simon stories. ;D

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Angus would tear up an agility course....I agree Kaytris...bottle that energy and enthusiasm.

[email protected] in agility!

kaytris it's so funny you'd say that, because Angus' Level 2 instructor is a huge agility nut. She competes with her Golden (they got their MACH last year!). Anyway, ever since I have known her she has been wearing me out to get Angus into agility! But I am just scared to death of getting him all fired up and not having a leash on him. OMG! I can see it now!

Connie and "The Boys":

kaytris is offline Senior Member

build the foundation, and you'll be fine.. Highly recommend reading Susan Garrett's "Shaping Success". If you think Angus is high drive, wait till you read about her infamous Buzz. (quick example - when she taught him a nose touch for contact obstacles like the aframe, Buzz would give himself a bloody nose whamming his muzzle so hard onto the contact plate)

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

WTG Simon and I agree with everyone about Angus and agility. It takes more than just a well behaved dog - you need one that really has that drive.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

quick example - when she taught him a nose touch for contact obstacles like the aframe, Buzz would give himself a bloody nose whamming his muzzle so hard onto the contact plate
    AaaaaHAHAHAHA!

Oh man, ow! OK, maybe Angus isn't *that* high drive! :P Sounds like a good book I will keep an eye out for it!

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast