HK nay be in need of a rescue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK nay be in need of a rescue

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHK nay be in need of a rescue

HK turned 7 months today. She alo found the colorful little magnet on the refrigerator of various barnyard animals. They have been there since the day HK came home. She has never touched them. The kitchen is the one room she has constant free reign in, iintil tofay. She has decided she wants to eat them. I have taken them away about times today. For trips to time out. Immediately on release, she runs back to the frig to get one of them. They aren't coming off, our grandchild likes to play with them too much. I can't see HL spending her whole life in the crate. Bitter apple won't work,she loves the stuff.

All suggestions welcome. If DW sees her snatch one of them, I am afraid HK will be living in the crate until someone comes to take her away. Any hope that she will wake up tomorrow with no interest in them?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HK nay be in need of a rescue

Sorry, she's a magnet-aholic. It's incurable. You'll just have to send her to me! ;D
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

cant you just take them down when she's in there and when your grandkids come...put them back up?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Probably easier to remove them for the time being, or at least put them out of her reach. You can move them back when the grandchild visits.

You have a magnet surfer! Sorry. There are gonna have to go.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Still willing to accept suggestions, but I have come up with a plan.
    ???

Taking them down when the granddaghter isn't here would be giving in and HK would be in the dominatant position. : That is probably going to happen, but I can hope, can't I.

I have to get HK out of the crate and figure out a way to tie something to her tail and the other end to an immovable object such that her nose can only get within a couple inches of the magnets. A few days of that and she might get the idea.

PLease don't tell PETA what I am planning. olice: I probably won't be able to tie anything to her tail anyway
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile

Taking them down when the granddaghter isn't here would be giving in and HK would be in the dominatant position. : That is probably going to happen, but I can hope, can't I.

I think you might be taking that a bit too literally.

When Nick was a pup, I found that bitter-apple spray on something he wanted chew/eat did the trick. Once he "tasted" the spray he wanted nothing to do with anything that was "coated". He never attacked an item a second time and eventually quit all chewing.

Now countersurfing........well that's another story. If there's food involved even the Matterhorn is no problem. Ever see a Lab yodeling while wearing Lederhosen? That would be Nick if he thought there was a snack bar on the summit!

Rowdy likes magnets also. ;D

Tanya is offline Senior Member

HK is a puppy - this is NOT about being alpha it's about being a puppy. Either leash her to correct when she goes to the magnet or remove them. It's a dog. She won't think "haha, magnets are down so I win". She probably will not even remember there was anything there within hours.

Very few dogs actually want to be alpha. It seems with all the tv shows and books everyone thinks everything a dog does is about being dominant but in fact, being alpha is alot of work and most dogs don't WANT that job.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast