Question on a bag of food...

Thread: Question on a bag of food...

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion on a bag of food...

Ok so the girls' food supply was dwindling, and we drove the 45 minutes to the closest petsmart (down here at the beach) and they were out of the food we typically get them which is Pro Plan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice and all of the other flavors as well.

We had to buy something so they didn't run out before the weekend, and since we still had some of their usual food we just went ahead and bought an 8lb bag of regular Pro Plan...chicken and rice flavor figuring we would mix it and the usual food would last us. Got home opened up and realized it was weight management formula...no biggie I figured they both eat pro plan any way and we'll be mixing it with their usual food. Abby scarfs it down as usual. Molly on the other hand will it eat but periodically she spits pieces out and she eats it verrrry slowly. Her poop has been fine, and she is eating everything else fine. If we give her just the usual food she scarfs that down fine.

Any thoughts as to why she's eating the other stuff funky? We're trying to prolong the use of the diminishing food until friday when we go to get our new bag and mixing this is helping. Does she just not like the texture of the food? Does she think we're trying to put her on a diet (lol) or is she angry at us for buying the wrong food? (j/k)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question on a bag of food...

I've got no advice. Just wanted to comment that since we switched Apollo to the Proplan Selects Salmon and Rice he does the same when we have to buy the regular Proplan - no matter what flavor we buy - either he won't eat for a couple days, or when he does he spits some nuggets on the floor. I think they are both quality products - Apollo may be a little spoiled. :

Quote Originally Posted by apollosmom
    I've got no advice. Just wanted to comment that since we switched Apollo to the Proplan Selects Salmon and Rice he does the same when we have to buy the regular Proplan - no matter what flavor we buy - either he won't eat for a couple days, or when he does he spits some nuggets on the floor. I think they are both quality products - Apollo may be a little spoiled. :
    haha that's funny!!

Maybe it's something in the taste/texture between the two that throws them off. I even went and got a trial bag thinking maybe the food was bad but she did the same thing...go figure
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think its the sugar they put in it. Store kibble has sugar added to make it taste better to dogs and when you switch them to something else without it or less of it (or something) they don't like it. I may be wrong, but I know I read somewhere that there is sugar in store kibbles like dog chow, purina, etc.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

It always amazed me how some dogs can separate their food like that. I used to give Callie beef stew when I made it....beef, sauce, carrots, peas, whatever else. She'd gobble everything up so quickly, licking the entire bowl clean of all of the sauce. There at the bottom of the shiny clean bowl would be every single pea, completely licked clean and spat back into the bowl.

When she was sick, she was on 3 or 4 different pills, 2 times a day. I would wrap them in cheese and give them to her, down went the pills....all except one, a little teeny tiny pink pill. She'd spit it out every time and I'd have to force the slimy thing down her throat.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy5475
    There at the bottom of the shiny clean bowl would be every single pea, completely licked clean and spat back into the bowl.
    Callie must have been related to my childhood dog Pepper. If there were 13 peas in the stew when we put it down there were 13 peas when he was done eating it. All nice and clean not a drop of any gravy left. We used to count them.

My parents' lhasa does the same thing!!

Years and years ago, we fed our sheltie Kibbles 'n Bits and she had a particular order she'd eat the food...usually the red pieces first, then the brown "sticks" next. I don't remember what all else is in there, that's been probably 15 years ago.

Haha I guess Miss Molly is just picky :P

*Stacey*