Wonderful story! :0)

Thread: Wonderful story! :0)

DefaultWonderful story! :0)

Goldston: Elderly Lab still has plenty of companionship to go around
    By Linda Goldston
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 08/04/2007 01:47:58 AM PDT

"Two years ago, my mother-in-law, Tavia Fries, passed away," Lois wrote. "It was very sudden, and my husband found her in her kitchen. Next to her, lying at her side, was her 13-year-old black Lab, Molly.

"We think Mom had been there for a couple days before we found her, and Molly had had nothing to eat during that time, not to mention she had not been able to get outside to do her business. Still, she had not messed in the house.

"Once we got past the shock of losing Mom, we all began to worry about what would happen to Molly. My husband and I had just rescued a yellow Lab who was still less than 6 months old, and we couldn't take Molly in.

"She needed a home without any other pets, as she didn't much care for other dogs and cats. My husband Rob's brother lives in a condo and can't have pets, and his sister had just moved and was not prepared to take on an elderly dog. It seemed pretty bleak.

"My Mom, Jeanne Kile, had lost her Australian Shepherd mix, Trudy, that February and had been without a dog for about six months.

"She was dragging her feet on getting another one, I think partly because she was 82 at the time and wondered if she'd be able to care for one. The night we found Molly alone in the house, my mother came and took her home to `foster' her till we

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    could find her another permanent home.
    "I posted Molly on all the Web sites I could find, and put out the word with my rescue contacts, in case someone came along who wanted an older (much older!) dog. After 3 weeks, I'd had no interest at all, which didn't surprise me. I think it was right about then that Mom offhandedly said to me `Well, I think we should give it another week and then if we don't get any bites, Molly might just have to stay with me.'

"Of course I knew what she really meant was that Molly was now hers, and she wouldn't consider giving her up! Without Mom knowing, I took Molly off the Web at once and she has been happily trotting around after my mother ever since.

"Now, nearly two years later, Molly is past 15 years old and Mom will celebrate her 85th birthday in February.

"They are a pair joined at the hip, and each seems totally devoted to the other.

"Molly has gotten a new lease on life, and in turn has given my mom one, too! Molly has learned to expect her treat in the evening, and her dinner at 3 p.m. - and best of all she doesn't have to share Mom with any other furry child!

"Every time I think of this, it gives me warm fuzzies, and seeing the happiness on my Mom's face tells me this sad story ended up just about as happy as it could be.

"We all know Rob's mom is in heaven, smiling down on all of us and watching her Molly enjoying the rest of her life

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wonderful story! :0)

I have chills. That's so sweet!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

That was very sweet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

What a great story, thank you for sharing!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

I have chills. That's so sweet!
    Same here.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

Nice

Won't someone please feed me!