Not another flea topic!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not another flea topic!

k8show is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot another flea topic!

So, I used Frontline on Boo until May when he got fleas. I thought maybe Frontline wasnít working for him and bought Advantix. He has fleas again! I follow package instructions and keep him out of the water for two days before and two days after treatment. Could there be something else that I'm doing incorrectly?

Why am I putting chemicals on my dog if theyíre not even benefiting him? Would the infestation have been worse if I didnít treat him? Iím thinking about cutting out the monthly treatment and just using flea/tick shampoo and bombing the house on an as needed basis.

By the way, Iíve since pinpointed the source of his fleas. My SILís dog has given fleas to the entire family! But, she lives in NC and we wonít see her again until Thanksgiving.

Thanks for your advice!
    Katie and Boo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Not another flea topic!

I dont know why your doggie keeps getting fleas.. But I am sorry for you... Fleas can be worse than lice... ewwwwww

momofalab is offline Senior Member

If you get the fleas out of your home, you can bathe your dog in Blue Dawn Dish soap. Has to be Blue Dawn. Not only gets the grease out of your way, but Kills the fleas too. When I worked for the vets, that is what we used for flea baths. Just an FYI. I would do that, then put on your flea medicine (frontline, or advantage, etc)

Is he getting anywheres that there is fleas outside? I remember growing up, our dog had huge issues with fleas. Would cause hotspots etc. What we found, is we had a back porch he would go under that was a mix of sand and dirt. That is where I flea problem was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

We have the worse time with fleas in florida. I have to put advantage on Mambo twice a month. That never keeps them away.

I think the key is to put the Frontline on BEFORE the fleas get on them. At least, that's what I THINK my vet told me YEARS ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Momofalab
    Is he getting anywheres that there is fleas outside?
    Nah, both times he got them it was after visiting SIL. Other than that, he hasn't had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kpowell
    I think the key is to put the Frontline on BEFORE the fleas get on them. At least, that's what I THINK my vet told me YEARS ago.
    Uh, yeah. That's what I did, once a month, every month. He was flea free until May. Then we got rid of 'em but then he saw cousin Joplin and they came back.
    Katie and Boo

Have you considered using the heartworm med that has flea control meds in it (Sentinel)? Its more expensive than the other brands, but seems like it would be worth a try (just check with your vet that you can use that and Frontline at the same time).

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I don't know about Frontline, but Peanut uses sentinel, and the vet described it as "flea birth control" ;D

This means, essentially, that fleas can land on her, and bite her ( :-\) but they cannot reproduce, so once the adult fleas die, that's it. ;D

So maybe it's similar with Frontline...?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Felix Guest

Frontline & garlic in combination with some fat from a sheep keeps the fleas, ticks and other little unwanted animals away from Laika! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I don't know about Frontline, but Peanut uses sentinel, and the vet described it as "flea birth control" ;D

This means, essentially, that fleas can land on her, and bite her ( :-\) but they cannot reproduce, so once the adult fleas die, that's it. ;D
    Hmmm, that sounds good. I will check this out. Thanks for the help!
    Katie and Boo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast