odd occurrence on our walk this morning

Thread: odd occurrence on our walk this morning

Defaultodd occurrence on our walk this morning

Gabby and I have been walking extra early this week since it's supposed to top out at 102 today. We were headed back down our block when I spotted what looked like a loose greyhound.

Gabby, I've noticed, is a bit slow on picking up on animals, etc, until I do. I think she just walks happily along and keys in to a change in my body language.

Anyway, we live a 2200 condo complex with huge yards in between each block of condos. So loose (off-leash) dogs are pretty much a daily thing, though usually the owner is there.

Because greyhounds are never supposed to be loose (my best friend works with a greyhound rescue), I thought "huh, maybe I should catch it." But Gabby was FREAKING OUT. Tail between her legs, pulling on the pinch (which she never does) towards the condo away from the dog, submissive urinating, etc. This is totally weird for her- she is the happiest, most confident dog in the world- we go new places every day, see new people, goes to day care, training, etc.

So I put Gabby inside and walked to see if I could find the dog and return him to his owners. He is of course gone. But when I get back inside, she is still freaking out. She is still wigging out an hour later and won't eat, etc. I crated her for a while and that seemed to help. I'm just ignoring and hoping she'll settle.

Do you think something was wrong with that dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: odd occurrence on our walk this morning

Question- are you absolutely positive it was a greyhound? Given Gabby's reaction, I'm wondering if it was a coyote. I know, coyotes and greyhounds look nothing a like, but if you were a distance away, you might have mistook the way a coyote moves with a greyhound.

Why do Greyhounds have to be leashed? It's funny cause we saw two at the off-leash area last night and I wondered why their owners weren't letting them off?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MarlansMum
    Why do Greyhounds have to be leashed? It's funny cause we saw two at the off-leash area last night and I wondered why their owners weren't letting them off?
    They generally should be leashed in non-fenced areas like our condo complex because they are sight hounds and will take off after any small prey (rabbits, mice, small dogs, etc) and will not stop until miles from home.

Also, they can attack small prey quickly before owners can realize it- small dogs and cats are very much at risk. They recommend that you muzzle ex-racers.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Gabby sensed something 'wrong' about that dog, no matter what kind it was. Just keep ignoring the behavior and hope she doesn't do it again when you take her back out.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Question- are you absolutely positive it was a greyhound? Given Gabby's reaction, I'm wondering if it was a coyote. I know, coyotes and greyhounds look nothing a like, but if you were a distance away, you might have mistook the way a coyote moves with a greyhound.
    I'm pretty sure it was a greyhound, but I was twenty feet or so away and didn't have my contacts in. However, there definitely could have been a coyote in the area earlier or at the same time that I didn't see. Or who knows, it could have been a coyote that I was trying to catch.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    ...Or who knows, it could have been a coyote that I was trying to catch.
    Reminds me of the time my Mom was playing tag with one of our Quarter Horses and a "Newf" puppy. What she didn't know was the "puppy's" mother black bear was watching from the woods.

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    ...Or who knows, it could have been a coyote that I was trying to catch.
    Reminds me of the time my Mom was playing tag with one of our Quarter Horses and a "Newf" puppy. What she didn't know was the "puppy's" mother black bear was watching from the woods.
    Yipes!
    Katie and Boo