Garlic and Brewers Yeast for Fleas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garlic and Brewers Yeast for Fleas?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultGarlic and Brewers Yeast for Fleas?

Does anyone here do this, or something similar, in lieu of topical treatments?

A lady at our dog club swears by the Garlic/Yeast combo. She has a Schnauzer who was having seizures that she determined were related to his monthly flea meds.

I'm really interested right now in reducing and/or eliminating anything that could be potentially toxic.

Both boys are due for flea meds now. I have to say, I am not thrilled about having to do that this month. But if I do the garlic and yeast I think it will take a month to build up in their systems.

Well, anyway, I would appreciate any advice!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Garlic and Brewers Yeast for Fleas?

Before Frontline became so popular, my Dad did this with his Basset Hound. But as I recall, it was only mildly successful, as he often talked about combing Murph for fleas/ticks (DAILY in the summers). And doing the whole medicated soap bath routine.

YMMV, of course......

k8show is offline Senior Member

Never heard of this. Sounds interesting though. I would also like to learn more.
    Katie and Boo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

Connie, when I lived in Fl, I had an agility instructor who, despite the great amount of flea/tick activity, vehemently refused to apply Frontline to her dogs.

She fed raw and used some sort of garlic/brewer's yeast supplement which she claimed kept the fleas AND ticks away from her dogs (who were labs, btw.)

As I recall, the supplement was made in Sweden (as a matter of fact, the packaging was all in Swedish) and came in "sticks."

In fact, I just found her website, I will drop her an email now. I'll let you know....

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Connie, I've heard the same!

I've seen supplements sold in our doggie store, but can't give Henery the ones with yeast, as he has already has a yeast problem in his ears! I do give him a bit of garlic now and then and he gets combed with a flea comb once a week. I've yet to find one on him *knock wood*.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

For the past 4 years, I haven't used Frontline or any flea and tick preventative on Lucy. She has never had fleas and I just check her for ticks after each outing. I had tried an all natural spray to keep mosquitoes away but it didn't work so well.
    I wasn't using it for Cricket either, except in June, I applied one dose because the ticks (regular and deer ticks) were getting all over her because she is so low to the ground.
    I haven't applied any since cause I hate the stuff.

I don't do anything special except feed them high quality food. They don't get fleas...and it isn't as if they don't spend an enormous amount of time outside.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Thanks Anne, that would be cool! ;D

Felicia, I know, I worry about the yeast with Simon too. Might not be such a great idea with him.

Molly...seriously!?!?! You don't do ANYTHING? Wow, that is totally amazing. And I know for sure they are outside quite a bit! What kind of food are they on again?

That makes me wonder if I am putting on products they don't even really need. I mean, how would I know? They're on them for a month before flea season till after a hard frost. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

seriously Connie...
    maybe a fluke? They will probably get fleas now...jinxing myself..

Lucy had been eating EVO for quite some time and Cricket was eating regular Innova. They are now both eating Eagle Pack Lamb and Rice with Oatmeal. They also get eggs, fish and veggies added to their diet.

I have read somewhere that garlic and brewer's yeast can help but I haven't tried it.

I dont use anything either, although we had a tree cut down this spring that had a raccoon nest in it and both my boys got fleas. I treated them once and won't unless they get them again.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    YMMV, of course......
    What does that mean? I've tried to figure it out, can't.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast