Someone smack the sense back into me please.......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone smack the sense back into me please.......

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomeone smack the sense back into me please.......

Say this:

"Kate, he's just a puppy. You can't expect too much of him, he's done fantastic so far, in many ways.

He's housetrained..... that's good, right? He knows his basic commands.... he's getting better with the not-jumping thing... the biting behaviour is all but extinguished...all good things, remember..?

It's OK that sometimes he doesn't listen. That he'd rather check out all the cool smells and twigs and leaves than listen to you nag. So what if he doesn't quite "get" the retrieving thing, you can work on it.

All good things come with hard work and patience.... you haven't put enough of either in to expect grandiose results."

I know all of these things, and tell them to myself on a regular basis. BUT, somehow the info is getting lost in translation. I need someone to smack it into me. Don't mince words if you feel it will help, be as harsh as you like... I can take it. :-\

For all those out there who have puppy fever at this time, I'm in one of those moments where I'll swear by rescue for all of time. No more puppies here..... oh no....... :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Someone smack the sense back into me please.......

*ahem*

Kate, he's just a puppy you can't expect too much of him :P

Seriously though...I almost hope with Molly several (and I mean several times). Now I look at her laying on my feet and just smile because all the hard work I've put into making her the dog I envisioned is paying off, she is going to be 2 in the winter. She no longer demolishes anything left on the floor, she knows all of her basic commands and is a joy to have in my life. Sure sometimes she stops to sniff a bit longer on a walk then I'd like or suddenly yanks my arm off because she is happy to see a person or sometimes decides to play "come get me" instead of "here I'll bring this bumper back to you"
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

How old is Baloo, remember besides being cute as hell he is a PUPPY!!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lubmylabs is offline Senior Member

I remember the days of just wishing they'd grow up and calm down. Everything you said is true though - except all good things come with hard work, patience, and TIME. Baloo will be all grown up before you know it and then you'll wonder how he could ever have driven you crazy.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    How old is Baloo, remember besides being cute as hell he is a PUPPY!!! ;D
    4 (and a half) months..... :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I do not know what specific issue is getting to you right now, But I shall share tonights class experience.

Hershey SitL Hershey sits
    Hershey Down: Hershey Downs.
    Hershey Stay: Hershey visits other dog.
    Hershey Come: Hershey visits a second dog.
    Hershey Down: Hershey Downs.
    Okay, so we go throughevery lesson we have practiced, Hershey listens to Sit and Down. NOTHING ELSE. Greeting by a stranger gets a leap to lick strangers face.
    Trainer asks what I have done to this dog that was so good last week.
    I say more of what I had been doing.
    Trainer takes Hershey.
    Hershey does every single thing the trainer asks him to. Does more that she had never been shown before after one instruction and correction. Trainer takes lead off and Hershey heels through groups of people and dogs.
    Trainer retunrs Hershey to me and announces,
    "Hershey is a really great Lab but has to work on training her handler. It is obvious from this demonstration that Herhsey knows what to do and will do it. The problem is on the other end of the lead.'
    I think he was referring to me, but I am not sure.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

lol..I think we all at least have had those thoughts. There were a few times I wondered what was I thinking??!!

But I consciously kept patience, realized he was still a baby and wouldn't be that way forever. So I decided to enjoy his puppyhood, help him see what was ok to chew (not my arm!) where to potty and the whole 9 yards.

And I echo AbbyandMolly....as I look at him sacked out here asleep I am glad I enjoyed each day of his puppyhood, worked on his training and he is all I ever wanted in a dog!

I had one of those moments today, too.

Champ has always been very good walking on leash, and today he decided that he should pull as hard as he could for the whole walk. Then he decided to try to jump on people at the dog park. Ugh.

Although - it was a good reminder that we need to be taking more walks to work on proper leashed behavior, and need to spend more time training each day at home.

I'm sure that Baloo is a fabulous dog who just had a bad day. Just look deep into those sweet little puppy eyes...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

For all those out there who have puppy fever at this time, I'm in one of those moments where I'll swear by rescue for all of time. No more puppies here..... oh no.......
    HAHAHAHA!

Ohhhh...

HAHAHAHA!

Oh, feel your pain. Yes I do.

And I hate to break it to you, but it's been three years since I went through this, and I still don't trust puppies.

It does get better though. Hang in there!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I was told by numerous people that when labs turn 2 all commands automatically "click in"... Ha ha ha... Saba will be 2 in a month and I'm still waiting. Can't complain too much though, he's really good, but he always had a problem with the "come here" command. He thinks it means "feel free to run around, pookie...". But I just think (and maybe that's the wrong way, but it's my way) that dogs have personalities too. And if he's trained too much, he'll become too much like a robot and all his own personality will diminish. Now having said that, I do believe dogs should listen to their owners, especially the "come" command which I was also told is one of the hardest. Don't loose hope, but at that age, I'd say he's still pretty young so just be patient and it will happen. And now to brag, last Saturday I was at a dog beach with Saba all day and may I say, he was PERFECT. Everytime he wanted to run towards another dog I would call him back and at first he'd stay, look towards the dog, then towards me, then towards the dog again and then run back to me. It only took me 2 years I'm pretty darn proud. (Sorry, had to brag - he's never done so well before!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast