What to do for Diarreha?

Thread: What to do for Diarreha?

DefaultWhat to do for Diarreha?

Sydney has had 3 rounds of diarreha in the last 12 hours, 2 of which were in her crate. What do I do for diarreha? Canned pumpkin?, gut rest?, or beef and rice? Just want to know what is best for the poor girl. She did eat her breakfast like normal but she is being lazier than normal especially being a 7 month old puppy...LOL

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What to do for Diarreha?

I would withhold food for 24 hours and then feed only a little brown rice with some boiled chicken. I have heard that plain canned pumpkin helps.
    Is she drinking water OK. Dehydration can occur if she is not drinking.
    Check her gums. Are they pink or pale. If pale then a trip to your vet is in order.
    Also, if you see the slightest trace of blood in the stool get her to a Vet ASAP.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above.

No food for 24 hours. Just leave them to rest and allow that time for their stomach to settle. After 24 hours, try a light meal of chicken and rice. Feed that for a further 24 hours. After 48 hours feed as normal. If it all checks out, great. Most cases of diarrhea are the result of a 24 hour stomach bug, over eating or eating something nasty. If the dog still has the runs after 48 hours I would get to a vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Do you know what the cause is?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

No I don't know what the cause is. We were camping the last 4 days but she was fine up until the middle of the night. She has eaten normal all weekend but it was hot yesterday and she was outside all day since we were packing up and what not instead of in the air of the trailer so who knows. Our other dog is just fine so hopefully she just ate a few to many bugs or something like that.

Jenny