Dogs & bee stings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Dogs & bee stings

  1. #1
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultDogs & bee stings

    Both boys got stung over the weekend. Frankie got it in the lip and I was able to see the stinger and pull it out right away. Tucker got it 4 or 5 times but had no negative reaction. If I hadn't gotten the stinger out of Frankie's lip, he might have had a reaction. I'm curious now, what do you do or what can you do when your dog gets stung and has an allergic reaction?





    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Deacon got stung a few years ago.. I gave him benedryl as soon as I noticed the swelling. You have to watch them after that so they don't have any breathing issue due to swelling

  4. #3
    Beachboys is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,575

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Mambo tried to eat a bee and got stun. We didn't know until his face was all swollen. It was scary and I took him to the EV. But now I know to just give him Benedryl. We keep it at the house now. Mambo has a taste for Bee's.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    How much benedryl? I don't have any of that in the house because my husband and I are both allergic to it. Yea I know, it sounds weird, but we are. :-\



    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  7. #5
    momofalab's Avatar
    momofalab is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    1,889

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Good to know! I have an ongoing list of What to do's running. Thanks for the great information.

    -Shannon

  8. #6
    TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    the Great White North, eh?
    Posts
    13,529

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    How much benedryl? I don't have any of that in the house because my husband and I are both allergic to it. Yea I know, it sounds weird, but we are. :-\
    Doh!! That sucks you guys are allergic to it. What do you take for allergic reactions instead?

    I would seriously keep some on hand for the boys though Amy, especially if you feel Frankie might have reacted.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

  9. #7
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    What do you take for allergic reactions instead?
    We don't, and fortunately have been very lucky (up until yesterday with Paul that is). :-\ I did buy the benedryl creme for Paul's stings but it didn't do a thing.




    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  10. #8
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    I have a huge bottle of benedryl always in my house. For an acute reaction (like a sting) you can go up to 75 mg twice a day. Normal dosage is 50 mg twice a day.



    Laura





  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,752

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Poor Frankie and Tucker!!

    Amy, the Benedryl dose is 1-2 mg/lb of body weight, every 8 hours, as needed, according to the Dog Owner's Veterinary Handbook (I think that's what it's called), but when Henery got stung last year, our vet told us to just give 50mg (Henry weighs 60lbs). Make sure it's the plain Benedryl, not the sinus one.

    The adult tabs are 25mg, so I keep the blister packs of 4 each, tucked into my backpack when we go hiking, and I keep a bottle in Henry's first aid kit in the car and at home.

    Henery tried to eat a bee last year, and it stung him where Frankie got stung, his poor muzzle just swelled up. All he needed was 1 dose of the Benedryl though, and it came right down.

    Hawaii Zoe has an epi-pen, I believe, since her allergies are much worse.

    Hope the boys are feeling better soon!

  12. #10
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: Dogs & bee stings

    Thanks for the dosage replies. So you can do either liquid or tablets? That's good to know. I'm going to buy some tonight.



    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25