Food Storage

Thread: Food Storage

DefaultFood Storage

I keep our dog food in a food bin the garage, someone told me this was bad in the summer...but I was thinking those without A/C will always have dog food in a warm house. It is in the 90's in the area I grew up and we never had A/C so anyone with dog food would also have it in their warm house. What do you think, can keeping the food in the garage be bad? It is dry kibble food.

Sorry if this sounds silly, it just got me thinking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food Storage

I sometimes have a 22# bag of kibble in the back of my car when it's really, really hot outside. It can be there for a day or two until I'm ready to pour it into the food bin (indoors). It smells fine, but Seamus will give a little *whiff* and "Am I to eat this?" look. The other 6 dogs just chow down as usual.

I wish I had someplace cool to store a large bag of kibble in the house.

Seamus and Flynn

I keep Cinnamon's in the house and the place I buy it from stores it in an A/C warehouse. Kibble can go rancid when exposed to the heat for to long. If you are going to keep it in the garage I would buy bags that are a size that you use in a month or less during the summer months. I know it takes me 2 to 3 months for Cinnamon to go through a bag.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Since we have two dogs we go through about one bag a month so we never have to stored for a long time. I usually only buy one bag at a time but if I double up I will keep the second indoors.

i feed raw so i always have to keep mine refrigerated. but when i was on kibble, i always kept it in the house so it'd always stay at room temp.
    i think dogs will eat kibble whether it be fresh or old...if their hungry enough but i just think they prefer fresh.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also keep mine in the house in A/C -- the garage gets far too hot and that kind of heat is deadly to food's quality.

Puff eats only 2 - 2.5 cups/day PLUS has a discriminating palate so half way through a 40 lb. bag (even when kept in the A/C'ed house), she loses her appetite for the food.

So I've learned to -- when opening a new 40 lb. bag (Costco's Kirkland or Diamond Naturals) -- to immediately transfer its contents to 10-11 one gallon ZipLock freezer bags. Half go in the freezer for later use, half remain in the kitchen for sooner use. When a new bag will be needed, it's taken from the freezer the day before to warm up to room temp before opening.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The only thing I would add is I keep the dog food in a container in the original bag. It acts as a sealer and if there is any question about its quality or a recall I have it right there.
    Olie

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Here's a pretty good article about pet food storage:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/22/pet_food_storage.htm

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Thanks -- Puff says it's an excellent article that supports all of her experiences and beliefs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748