Teddy is exhibiting a puzzling behavior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teddy is exhibiting a puzzling behavior

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeddy is exhibiting a puzzling behavior

Teddy (my new boy--I've had him for less than two months) has started growling at odd times. It is very puzzling. He will growl to get out of his crate (all the while wagging furiously) and in the last two days he has just growled for no apparent reason. The first time he was sitting in a chair, Jefferson was across the room laying on the couch, and I was on the computer. He just started growling for no reason. He quit as soon as I looked at him. Just now he was laying on the dog bed next to the computer and started growling. I looked at him and he put his ears back and belly crawled over to me. ???
    I have no idea what this means. His body language when this happens is either very friendly, or almost submissive? There isn't any lip curling going on with these growls.
    He and Jefferson play with the same toys, even going as far as chewing on the same nylabone. He did growl at me once when he had stolen Jefferson's dinner and I went to take it away from him. That I put a stop to right away--I started hand feeding his breakfast and dinner, and asking him to sit or down while I was feeding him. I haven't had a problem with that since.

Any ideas on what this means?
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Teddy is exhibiting a puzzling behavior

Hmm.. how old is your pup? If he is really small still, I predict he is just being playful (especially the scenario in the crate).

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow, that sounds EXACTLY like Simon!

Simon is very talkative. VERY talkative. :P He will sometimes do just as you are describing, growl lightly for no apparent reason, then when you look at him he will flatten his ears like, "Oops, my bad!"

Now, I honestly think monkeys will fly out of my butt before Simon will ever bite anyone. I have no idea why he does this sometimes. It startled me the first few times, but now I find it sort of endearing. I call him a grumpy old man.

I will say this: Sometimes when he growls "for no apparent reason," I will notice what Angus is doing. Angus is usually staring at him or hovering over him. Simon does not care for this. I would love to know what those two are telepathically communicating to each other when this happens:

Angus: "Hee. F You."

Simon: "Grrrrrr!"

Angus: "Hee. F You."

Simon: "GRRRRR!"

I mean, I am certainly not a professional behaviorist. But I think combined with the body language you are describing it doesn't sound dangerous.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh gawd, Connie, that made me laugh out loud!

These monkey yellow boys....

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

taylor makes darth vadar sounds at me when she is trying to gain my attention from across the room. it almost sounds like growling, but i KNOW it's not growling. her tail wags when she is making the vadar sounds, too, and she is staring directly at me, and as soon as i glance her way, she stops vocalizing and gets all excited that i acknowledged her. i don't know why she doesn't bark, whine, or do something else. her vadar noises are totally innocent and cute as far as i'm concerned.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Connie, that made me laugh!

Okay, that makes me feel a little better. I do think maybe he is just "talking" to me in these instances. He does play growl when he and Jefferson are playing.
    I guess I am a little sensitive since the occasion where he growled over his food. He growled at me again tonight over a treat. I had given both boys a frozen yogurt. (I get Dannon plain yogurt and freeze it.) They both retired to their respective corners to enjoy the treat. Teddy happened to be laying at my feet when I heard him crunching the plastic cup. I reached down to see if he was eating the plastic and he growled. I then took his yogurt and only let him have it while I held the cup.
    Oh and BTW Teddy is about 10 months old and neutered. I adopted him from the Humane Society when he was 8 months old. He was an owner surrender--and terrified. He has certainly bloomed!!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

corona will do that to me too. but she will continue even if im looking at her and then if i stare at her for a few seconds she'll start barking at me.
    I think it's like an "excited-HEY LOOK AT ME" kinda growl lol

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luke from georgia
    taylor makes darth vadar sounds at me when she is trying to gain my attention from across the room. it almost sounds like growling, but i KNOW it's not growling. her tail wags when she is making the vadar sounds, too, and she is staring directly at me, and as soon as i glance her way, she stops vocalizing and gets all excited that i acknowledged her. i don't know why she doesn't bark, whine, or do something else. her vadar noises are totally innocent and cute as far as i'm concerned.
    That sounds exactly like my Max!
    Brenda from Connecticut

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

if you have concerns about resource guarding, please read this booklet by jean donaldson:

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB740

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

WigWag Guest

It's important to remember that dog communicate with their voice and that includes barking, growling, and whining. Growling is an important form of communication and it isn't all bad. It sounds like your boy's growling is focused on your other dog and not you. He is growling for a reason - there is always a reason to him that is not apparent to us sometimes. He's probably anticipating your other dog's intentions (coming over to him while he's comfy on the dog bed) and so he's letting him know that he doesn't want that to happen before it does. I don't like any growling towards people since I believe we can do as we please no matter what they think, however growling between dogs is very normal and I would allow them to talk - not anything too physical but growling is appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast